How long can wort sit before boiling?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marvinx1234

Reaction score
I was just getting ready to boil my wort, when something important came up and I had to leave. Now the wort has been sitting around for about 12 hours. Will it be ok to go ahead and boil, or is it too late?

probably fine to boil and proceed with your process. What are you doing, extract/partial/ag? Anyway 12 hour usually isn't enough time for the nasties to settle in and eat up your sugars. Boil, cool and pitch your yeast is what I would do. Your other option is to throw it all out, which sounds like a waste.

I would think if you boiled it , any molds or wid yeast that got in would be killed and it would be ok . I have steeped malts the night before I brewed and it seemed ok.

Should be fine. I did two all grains one day and i boiled the second wort first. Figuring it was warmer and would take less time to get to a boil. both beers , very lightly hopped low abv pale ales came out fine.

What can go wrong? The *worst* thing I ever heard of was a fermentation (infection or wild yeast) had started and gotten pretty far along. Ring of foam formed. Anything less than that will be killed in a boil.

Latest posts

Back