How Long Can R/O Water Sit Before Using It?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slayer021175666

Reaction score
I got some ro water from a local brewery. I have an unforseen situation that makes it where I won't be able to brew for the next 7 and possibly 10 days. The water was put into old Culligan (or however its spelled) plastic water jugs. I don't have any proper caps for them so I folded some aluminum foil and squeezed it down over the tops of the jugs just to keep dust and whatever out because I though I could brew today. The water has set for 2 days now and I might have to leave it setting for up to 12 days. Will it work or will it go bad? Is there anything I can do to combat it going bad? I just wanted this water for a NEIPA and I brew all my other beers from my tap water. I'd rather not bug the brewery guys for water again.
Star San? Or, would the acid from it mess with the water profile I'm shooting for?
Open to suggestions.
Thanks Everybody.

Drink a beer and relax. Leave the foil on it and brew when you can

Your container is good, it's covered, it's fine. Attention to detail can be good, but this is one area you can skip worrying about.

That said, if you're using RO water, it's assumed you know about additions and such to make it "good" water. If you use straight RO water for your brew in an effort to make it better, it'll backfire.

I leave mine uncovered for days sometimes before using it.

I have 3 milk crates that I keep 12 gallons of RO water at the ready for brewing. I have a RO filter in the kitchen with an under sink 3 gallon tank. I fill up the gallon jugs so I have enough for a brew day. I have never had a problem.

Thanks Guys.
I figured it'd be ok. Its just water but I thought i'd ask anyway. And, yes. I plan on treating the water to make my recipe. All my other beers turn out fine with my city water but, they say the NEIPA is very water picky. Easiest way for the non-scientist is to just start from R/O.
Thanks to all.

It's possible to get microbial growth - that's the slime you feel on the container walls. Add a bit of chlorine when filling the container if you know you'll need to store it. Fill container 100%. Seal tightly. Use carbon to remove chlorine if still present when you use the water.

The biggest issue typically stems from the container not being clean before you fill it.

Russ

Back