How long can I mash for?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimbodaman

Reaction score
I ask out of necessity not curiosity. I'm in the middle of a brew day and everything is going fine until a tree falls on the power line in my back yard. Chaos ensues fire trucks etc. the power company is too busy / incompetent to turn off the power so I'm trapped inside the house and can't complete my brew day until they shut the power off. It's been 90 minutes. Hopefully they can shut the power off within a few more hours will that be too long of a mash. I'm brewing in a detached garage with wires laying on it. Pics to follow

Sounds like an exciting day. You'll be fine. There are a lot of people on here that regularly do 90 min, including me and I've also seen recipes for 120 min mash.

Yup

IMG_0216.jpg

When I do barleywine or RIS, I do an extended mash - get the mash on, then go to the diner for bacon and eggs, maybe run an errand or two on the way back. I let it go at least two hours.

Sheesh, your trees look like trees around here. Wind gusts topped out at 62 here yesterday. Came home to find the grill halfway across the yard.

With trees over the power line, I doubt he has a live wire. Maybe he can call this "Dead Wire IPA"?

I actually haven't lost power which is absurd. So it ended up being a 3.5 hour mash. Starting at 150 F down to 145F. Cold sparge. Split boil on stove, chilled in bathtub for 2 hours. Quite the brew day. But actually nothing went horribly wrong with the actual beer. Should turn out okay, although I stretched just about every brewing norm.

I didn't take any measurements past end of mash temp. This bad boy should ferment way down, 1.008 perhaps. It will be interesting, since it had a solid malt bill, MO, Munich, carapils, c20. OG should've been 1.067 but it's unknown.

I didn't take any measurements past end of mash temp. This bad boy should ferment way down, 1.008 perhaps. It will be interesting, since it had a solid malt bill, MO, Munich, carapils, c20. OG should've been 1.067 but it's unknown.

We can't know that yet. While you mashed longer and lower than expected the enzymes may have denatured long before the end of your mash. The attenuation of your yeast also comes into play as some are much more aggressive than others. The only way to be certain is to let it complete fermentation and measure with your hydrometer.

The attenuation of your yeast also comes into play as some are much more aggressive than others. The only way to be certain is to let it complete fermentation and measure with your hydrometer.

Us05, one packet. 62F until Krausen falls then I'll ramp it up to 68 F for a few weeks. I'm excited for this unintentional experiment. Weak boil tho, I bet I didn't get full hop utilization. 4 oz cascade total. 1 at 60min. 1 at 30 min. 2 at 10 min. 55 ibu

Us05, one packet. 62F until Krausen falls then I'll ramp it up to 68 F for a few weeks. I'm excited for this unintentional experiment. Weak boil tho, I bet I didn't get full hop utilization. 4 oz cascade total. 1 at 60min. 1 at 30 min. 2 at 10 min. 55 ibu

Questions: Why are you going to ramp up to 68 for a few weeks?
It sounds like a pale ale. 10 days to 3 weeks total should be plenty.

Why do you think that you wouldn't get full hop utilization from a weak boil? As long as it was boiling your hop utilization should be fine.

Questions: Why are you going to ramp up to 68 for a few weeks?
It sounds like a pale ale. 10 days to 3 weeks total should be plenty.

Why do you think that you wouldn't get full hop utilization from a weak boil? As long as it was boiling your hop utilization should be fine.

1)My fermentation schedule is never an exact science. I control the temp rigorously until the Krausen falls, ramp up the temp to room temp, then take it out of the ferm chamber until I have time to bottle, which can be anywhere from a week to two months. Ideally yes I should enjoy it fresh. I'll throw some dry hops in it 4-5 days before I bottle to liven it up. 2) I'm not sure if it was a boil or a simmer. Split boil 14,000 btus under 4 gallons and 10,000 under 2.5 gallons. I heard a weak boil can effect hop utility, hopefully not. Cheers

1)My fermentation schedule is never an exact science. I control the temp rigorously until the Krausen falls, ramp up the temp to room temp, then take it out of the ferm chamber until I have time to bottle, which can be anywhere from a week to two months. Ideally yes I should enjoy it fresh. I'll throw some dry hops in it 4-5 days before I bottle to liven it up. 2) I'm not sure if it was a boil or a simmer. Split boil 14,000 btus under 4 gallons and 10,000 under 2.5 gallons. I heard a weak boil can effect hop utility, hopefully not. Cheers

I can certainly relate to the first part. I just finished a keg of IPA that sat in primary for 5 1/2 months. I feared it would be a dumper but tasted it. - decent - Dry hopped in the keg and it turned out quite good.

Well if it was just a simmer? If the wort was constantly rolling I would say it is probably good to go.

Back