How long can I keep liquid extract?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I found a couple older threads on this, but nothing really covered my question. I ordered a couple of extract kits to start out with as I am new to this. After doing a few kits I want to start playing with things and will not use kits, but will probably use LME for a while.

My question is, how long can I keep this? I want to order a few at a time to save on shipping, and it is the kind that comes in a milk jug. Is storing it in the basement for few months ok? There is not an expiration date on it. And should uncrushed grains be kept in the fridge, or is the basement ok for these? Thanks!

You want to store extract in the fridge. It will stay fresh for a good 2-3 months if you keep it at low temps and airtight, and won't really deteriorate very quickly even after that if you are storing them cold. It WILL start to go stale more quickly at higher temps, but are still usable, just not peak quality, so the basement would work if you have no other option, but isn't ideal - put the jugs in the fridge!!

Uncrushed grains will stay fresh as long as you keep them airtight and away from moisture and bugs. You can store them at room temps, just put them in good quality ziplock bags and purge out the air before you seal.

Our Local Home brew shop sucks doesnt it Amonkey? Never get grain from him its all filled with bugs. Have you ever looked in his liquid yeast fridge lol? One pack of 3 month old Wyeast Smack pack is all he had. Or the Coopers kit thats been sitting their for like 5 yrs lol

....WILL start to go stale more quickly at higher temps, but are still usable, just not peak quality,...

Yes, and the color will also start to change...typically getting darker. After long periods, especially in less than idea storage conditions, it will start to develop off-flavors too.

I am new, so have only been in there twice. First time just to browse and see what was there, and second time picked up a few things that did not come with my kit. I was planning on going there for the grain and yeast as the price was about even and ordering the extract, but maybe I will just order it all. Kind of sad as it seems there are quite a few home brewers around. But can't really expect him to keep it on the shelf if nobody comes in to buy it.

Never get grain from him its all filled with bugs

BTW, all grain has weevil eggs in it, just like all flour, all spaghetti/pasta, all anything made out of grain. The weevil eggs are in the grain long before the grain is processed by the manufacturer, so there's nothing that can really be done, and it is perfectly safe to eat weevil eggs or even hatched weevils, and they are part of each and everyone's brews, like it or not. It's not really your brew shop's fault if you found weevils in your grain, they were there when he got the bags!

Out of sight out of mind, but they are always there! The only way to actually "kill" them is to freeze your grain.

BTW, all grain has weevil eggs in it, just like all flour, all spaghetti/pasta, all anything made out of grain. The weevil eggs are in the grain long before the grain is processed by the manufacturer, so there's nothing that can really be done, and it is perfectly safe to eat weevil eggs or even hatched weevils, and they are part of each and everyone's brews, like it or not. It's not really your brew shop's fault if you found weevils in your grain, they were there when he got the bags!

Out of sight out of mind, but they are always there! The only way to actually "kill" them is to freeze your grain.

I know that. What I ment to say is that his have hatched. His grain is poorley stored. The shop is just horrible

According to Briess, the shelf life is 24 months. However, it is subject to storage and shipping conditions. In general, if it remains unopened and sealed then 1 year is reasonable.

Latest posts

Back