How Long Can I Keep Hops in Storage

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TyHadaway

Reaction score
Hi All

I was wondering how long I can keep hops in storage? I currently keep the hops I have in an airtight container and in the fridge. Is there an optimum time that the hops need to be used within and do different hops varieties have a longer shelf life than others? The reason I ask is that I have hops left over from a couple of brews I did for seasonal beers and I only see myself using them for when I brew those recipes again unless I stumble on a recipe that utilises those same hops before next season again.

Thanks

Vacuum sealed hops (think Food Saver) can last quite a long time. Oxygen is the enemy, so the less the better. I just used some Hallertau hops that were vacuum sealed in one ounce packets 4-5 years ago. I used double the amount called for because I know that there has to be some degradation that has taken place even though they smelled fine. However, this was for a german hefeweizen, and even if the IBUs are off somewhat, it shouldn't matter much. I would not do this with an IPA since hops are the showcase and the fresher the better.

Some hops do store better than other, and there is some reference material out there on this. Keep searching the forum - I know that someone posted this information, but just can't recall now who it was or when it was posted.

And you can always make a "kitchen sink" beer with left over ingredients. With a little thought, those can turn out nice, even if they are not to any one style.

I also vacuum bag and freeze my hops. I am sure that some of them are at least a few years old. I use them at the amounts indicated by Beersmith. No doubt there would be a difference from using fresh hops but without a side by side I can't tell the difference.

When in doubt I just use a little more....

Maybe I should date the hops, and use older ones first. :smack:

Thanks for the replies, some valuable information. I think it is time to get a vacuum sealer.
:mug:

Back