How long can I keep beer in my secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JD1999

Reaction score
So I am running a little experiment. I have had my beer that I didn't have room to bottle in my secondary for probably 6-10 weeks now. How long can I keep the beer in my secondary fermenter until it goes bad?
Thanks.

What kind of beer is it?

Let's put it this way. The answer to your question is: Long enough to get around to drinking it.

Generally speaking of course.

I'd give you more time, but I need to know more about the beer. OG, beer style, yeast, how long in the primary, dry hop schedule (if any), Spices, flavorings adjuncts, etc.

It is an amber beer. I got it from the Samuel Adams home brew contest. I would post the link but I can't it on their website. It might have been taken down. Does anyone know what I am talking about? In general, how quickly will beer go bad? This was an OG of 1.04, FG of 1.12 - 1.16. No dry hop, no flavoring, I don't really know what yeast I used. I just used what they gave me. In was in the primary fermenter for 6-8 weeks.

It is an amber beer. I got it from the Samuel Adams home brew contest. I would post the link but I can't it on their website. It might have been taken down. Does anyone know what I am talking about? In general, how quickly will beer go bad? This was an OG of 1.04, FG of 1.12 - 1.16. No dry hop, no flavoring, I don't really know what yeast I used. I just used what they gave me. In was in the primary fermenter for 6-8 weeks.

as long as you dont allow oxygen in and keep it around 60-70 in a dark place, you could go for sum time but you never know.. i would still bottle it up as soon as you can so you can drink it:mug:

Not including my sours, I have 1 beer in secondary for 2 weeks, another for 6 weeks, and a third that 8is going on 20 weeks. I have no concerns with any of them.

Back