How long can beer sit without an airlock without ruining?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MGMorden

Reaction score
Hey guys - panicing a bit here. I just checked my beer and my airlock was knocked off of it. I think it may have been my 2.5 year old niece that stays here. The fermenter is in a room that's closed off with a child gate but lately she's learned to crawl across them occasionally. Her mom/my sister said she'd caught her in that room a few times and gotten her out, (including once today), but I'm unsure if it was knocked off today.

Anyways, I know that the airlock was there as of 3 days ago, but past that I'm unsure. I put it back on immediately, but was just wondering - is it ruined or is there some chance that the batch can be salvaged?

Thanks.

you're good. Don't worry about it. Some people don't even use them.

I wouldn't worry. Not knowing all the details Recipe yeast temp or even how long it was off. I would relax and if there is no home brew avail pick a commercial brand. It will most likely be ok.

my three yearold son put a piece of grass in my german alt while it was in the kettle, somehow I missed seeing him do that. I wonder what flavor it will add. It lasted in the brew until I secondaried it last weekend, after 3 weeks in the primary. When I was brewing it outside, he was dying to put some grass in the pot and I thought I had kept him from succeeding. Apparently not. The things toddlers do. lol

I had the samething happen with a batch. I put the airlocker back on but it was too late. Bacteria got in and formed mold colonies. RUINED!!! But if its been a few days and nothing has happened U'll be fine.

I had the samething happen with a batch. I put the airlocker back on but it was too late. Bacteria got in and formed mold colonies. RUINED!!! But if its been a few days and nothing has happened U'll be fine.

I hate to be so annoying with the questions, but I'm a newbie at this.

What would a mold colony look like?

I examined my beer with the top off (figured that couldn't hurt with it there so long) and there is a ring of grey-ish green "stuff" around the top area of the beer. I had figured these were the hops that had floated to the top and collected (I'm just doing a long primary instead of a secondary, so they're still in there), but I figured I'd ask.

I snapped a picture of it. It's from my phone so quality is so-so. I could get a better pic if I dragged out the DSLR but was in a hurry.

2011-04-18%2023.40.54.jpg

First calm down. Sorry you did not say it was 3 weeks in in the first post. I just guessed it was started within a week. NOW SERIOUS QUESTIONS ! Your house dirty infected with mold and bacteria !!! If it is I would think twice 1 about living in such conditions and 2 brewing in them also. BUT if everything is relatively clean and sanitary. And that is used is the loosest of terms as no house is bug free. You should and your brew should be ok. Mold won't show up for weeks and an infection even longer you beer will be gone long before then and all will be good.

Airlocks are a modern affectation, a solution to a problem that only rarely happens. Still, it's best not to have your vent hole uncovered so that dust and stuff can fall into it.

Mr. Beer doesn't use an airlock anymore, just a vent under the lid.

From the history of "Anchor Steam":
According to Anchor Brewing, the name "steam" came from the fact that the brewery had no way to effectively chill the boiling wort using traditional means. So they pumped the hot wort up to large, shallow, open-top bins on the roof of the brewery so that it would be rapidly chilled by the cool air blowing in off the Pacific Ocean.

That's co2. Ever see mold grow on bread ? your a long wy off from mold. You got beer. You want mold ?

Thanks guys. Sorry, was just a bit worried. This batch was being setup for a yearly camping trip that I and some friends/family take and I was really looking forward to us as a group having the homebrew. With the trip being over memorial-day weekend I don't think I'd have time to setup another batch, and it just had me worried.

I'll keep and eye on it and hopefully all will be fine. Sorry to go overly paranoid on ya'll :).

the green ring around the bucket is left over krausen and hop resin.

you could always get a 4 week beer going. 2 weeks in the primary and 2 weeks in the bottle as a back up. Let this one go no matter what though. Do not dump. It will probably turn out just fine.

It's understandable we all worry especially with important dates and reasons. Heck I still worry though not as much after 22 years. But every one is my baby (That's disturbing I drank my baby!)

Latest posts

Back