How Long are Grains Good?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chemist308

Reaction score
I took something of a break from brewing. I'm back now. I took an inventory of my grains and to be frank I had a lot. I'm tossing my opened inventory without question. Most is 2 years old. My unopened inventory is roughly this:

50# Briess 2 row in paper bag (original packaging)
Roasted Barley in sealed 1# bags from LHBS
Crystal Malts in sealed 1# bags from LHBS
Chocolate Malt in sealed 1# bags from LHBS
Flaked barley in sealed 2# bag from LHBS

Storage condition was at room temp in the kitchen pantry. I'm prepared to start with fresh grains. Before I do, do I try to use or just toss it all?

sealed? i'd use it. not sealed? toss. probably stale, and will have bugs in it, even if they're mites you can't see

If unmilled, it could still be very good. If already crushed/milled, then chances are it's gone beyond... Crushed life span is ~2 months... Whole grain (as long as it's properly stored) can last far longer. You might want to invest in a Food Saver vacuum sealer/packer for the grain... That way, if you don't expect to use something within a decent amount of time, you can vacuum pack it... In a few weeks, if I have any grain left from what just arrived, I'll be vacuum packing it. I will be vacuum packing the hops (into 1oz packages) as soon as I open a package (otherwise, they stay sealed)...

If you have a cool place to store the grain, that will help too... I think I know what I'll be using one of the freezers I expect to get before spring is in full swing... One for a keezer, another for grain, hops, and yeast cold storage. :D

Looking forward to the day when I can decide to brew on a coming weekend, two days before, and not need to run to the LHBS for anything... :D :mug::drunk:

Back