How linearly are mash temps related final gravity?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Javaslinger

Reaction score
I understand the concept of mash temps, enzymes and fermentable sugars. What I would like to know if what you can expect, given a particular Original Gravity, to find as a Final Gravity along the temperature scale?

For example, given a 1.070 OG, what would you expect the FG to be (all other things being equal) when mashing at 146, 150, 156, etc...

Attached (I hope) is a graph of enzyme activity vs. mash temperature. I got it from this forum but can't find the post that it was in. Anyway, I read the fermentabilty from the graph and enter it as an attenuation in my software.

Beer_enzyme_activity_one_hour_mash.jpg

It's best if you think of it as:
Your equipment + Your process + Mash temp + Yeast= Predictable FG

I collected data on my WLP833 fermentations and can consistently predict where it will go. The plot is fairly linear. But even so, there is about a 2 point range for a given set.

We all tend to focus too much on mash temperature. All other factors being equal, within a nominal range of about 148-154 F, there simply is not that much difference in attenuation for many yeasts. Not all, but many.

What matters FAR, FAR more is yeast selection. Each strain has its own abilities, which vary widely. Some yeasts are very sensitive to mash temperature effects. Other yeasts don't care at all. Take a look here:

http://seanterrill.com/2017/04/21/observations-on-attenuations/

Back