How is CO2 distributed in a setup?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoeCap09

Reaction score
For example, If you have 30 psi on the primary and a three way manifold does that mean 10 psi for each way?

Or if you have secondary regulators do they have to (or should they) add up to the primary pressure?

I am sure there are a bunch more examples. I thought these examples would be a simple scenario. Thanks!

A manifold will not "split" the pressure as you describe. If you put 30 psi into a manifold, then 30 psi comes out of the other two ends. If you want different pressures for different kegs all connected to the same CO2 tank, then you will need a separate regulator for each keg.

Oh ok. So if I have 3 kegs and want two of them two be the same carb level and then a 4th line for force carbing possibly is it better too have a double body primary?

You need as many regulators as you want different pressures.

I get this part, but what I've been curious about (and I think the OP is also) is how does this work if you have one primary (high pressure) regulator and then several secondaries (low pressure)?

Do you just have to make sure the primary pressure is higher than any of the secondaries? So, I could set my primary to 30 psi and then run that into a set of four secondaries - three at 12 psi and one at 25 psi - and I'd be fine?

I get this part, but what I've been curious about (and I think the OP is also) is how does this work if you have one primary (high pressure) regulator and then several secondaries (low pressure)?

Do you just have to make sure the primary pressure is higher than any of the secondaries? So, I could set my primary to 30 psi and then run that into a set of four secondaries - three at 12 psi and one at 25 psi - and I'd be fine?

That is correct. You will have the same pressure or less out of each leg of the regulator each port of a manifold.

Back