How Important is Water to your Brewing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As it pains me to say this, I think I have unintentionally become a water expert. I have been a process engineer for many years and in each process I have supervised, there has been some form of water treatment. However, when I started brewing I did not include water treatment for the first couple of years. Why you ask?
Like most home brewers I viewed water treatment as an afterthought. If you read most recipes, they don't include a water profile. I asked about water treatment as a couple of home brew shops in the area. "Just add 50 percent RO to the tap and you'll be good" is the response I would mostly get. This led me to believe that water wasn't that important when you brew.
During recipe formulation, we spend most of our time looking at malt and hops profiles and hashing out how this will come to fruition in our final product. Yet we seem to forget what is in 90 percent of our final product: water. Why is water important? Because it will enhance or take away your desired flavor profile, it ensures a healthy environment for our yeast friends, and it will increase your brew house efficiency. When I brewed my first beer after I selected and adhered to a water profile, I was blown away. Yes, water does make a difference, a big difference.
This article isn't meant to be all encompassing. I would have to write a book in order to do that. I will try to highlight as much as I can in the shortest amount of time. Water can be very easy, or it can be very complicated. I will take you through how I formulate a recipe. You may agree or disagree with how I do it, but at least take the basics back with you.
hbt-water-1857.jpg

Image courtesy of wiki
First the most important part about brewing water is the contaminants in it. Ions such as calcium, magnesium, sodium, and chlorine are all dissolved in water. Every ion dissolved in water plays a role in your beer whether good or bad. Here is a short list of what each ion will do when brewing a batch of beer.
Ion - Contribution
Bromate - Disinfection and contaminant
Calcium - Fermentation, clarity, mash pH
Chlorine - Disinfectant that causes off flavors
Copper - Oxidation Catalyst
Chloride - Beer flavor that emphasizes malt character
Iron - Off flavor, scale and corrosion risk
Magnesium - Fermentation, clarity, mash pH (supplied mainly by malt)
Manganese - Off flavor, scale risk
Nitrate/Nitrite - Poisonous to yeast (more applicable to nitrites, but nitrate will turn into nitrites)
Silicate - Scale
Sodium - Beer flavor, less is better
Sulfate - Beer Flavor, adds hop character and dryness
Of this truncated list, only five will benefit your beer. The rest do nothing but harm your final product. Most local water supplies have all of these and much more unwanted items. Check your local water report and see what is in it. I did that and decided to use RO or drinking water instead of local. It costs a bit more, but it tastes better. In the end aren't we all looking to make delicious beer?
Of these five wanted ions, next we must look at how much of each we must use. That answer isn't easy as each style of beer has a different water profile. This occurred because of local water supply from the regions that they were invented. It also comes from the mash pH and Residual Alkalinity.
Without diving too deep into a mash pH discussion, the lighter malt you have in your mash, the less effect it has on lowering your mash pH. The crystal or roasted malts will lower your pH. This can be a good or bad thing dependent on what you're brewing. Mash pH at room temperature during the mash should be around 5.5-5.6. With a temperature correction at a mash temperature of 150 F, that works out to be around 5.2-5.3. Having this pH in your mash will ensure a good wort pH and good fermentation pH.
For example, if we are brewing an IPA and using pale malts, the lowest pH we could achieve is around 5.8. We need to get lower to do that we need to add minerals to the water. Gypsum (CaSO4), Calcium Chloride (CaCl2), and Epsom Salt (MgSO4) will bring your pH down. This is where gets a little complicated. There are many online calculators that will adjust this for you once you are putting in your recipe. Remember to look up your water profile for your beer style and stick to it. For an IPA, I like this one:
hbt-ipa-1858.jpg

Bee Cave Brewery Rye IPA - Image courtesy of Edwort
Calcium 88 ppm
Magnesium 26 ppm
Sodium 19 ppm
Chloride 137 ppm
Sulfate 131 ppm
Remember that Calcium and Magnesium will aid in fermentation, clarity, and mash pH. Sodium is for flavor, and your Chloride/Sulfate Ratio will enhance malt flavor, hop bitterness, or dryness. Most importantly Calcium can be no less than 50 ppm. Yeast need that for flocculation and will remain in suspension if there is not at least that amount. Your beer will be cloudy and will obviously taste very yeasty.
For a darker beer we may need to do the opposite as the darker roasted malts will reduce the mash pH. Making a beer with just black malt will result in a pH of around 4.4 (Not that you should try that). For the second example we will brew a stout. After adding my grains to the calculator and looking at the pH, I am around 5.4. This is a little low for me. In order to raise the pH a bit, I can add slaked lime, baking soda, or chalk. I do not recommend adding chalk at any time. It is very hard to completely dissolve and an estimator doesn't account for that. Normally I just use baking soda to raise the pH. It adds a little sodium also and I kill two birds with one stone that way. For a stout, I like to target this profile:
hbt-dark-1859.jpg

Andes Mint Chocolate Stout - Image courtesy of modernlifeisANDY
Calcium 56 ppm
Magnesium 12 ppm
Sodium 28 ppm
Chloride 83 ppm
Sulfate 68 ppm
I will still need to add calcium chloride, Epsom salts and gypsum to achieve the results I desire. I just need to add more baking soda to raise the pH. The profiles I target can also move up and down depending on how it will affect the pH, but I will not change it outside of the beer style profile.
Now I have my recipe ready and I'm ready to brew. The most useful piece of equipment you can buy when mashing is a pH meter. Verifying your work in recipe formulation is essential. I have saved myself a few times when doing this. If your pH isn't what you thought it should be, maybe you forgot to add your salts or maybe you didn't add the right grain. I had a home brew shop forgot to add 2 lbs of Crystal malts to my grains and that was caught because of a pH meter. If it isn't correct, there isn't much you can do to correct pH in the mashing step. It can take up to 30 minutes for pH to stabilize, but it will correct itself eventually, resulting in a good wort pH and fermentation pH.
To some these steps may seem like a lot of work. There are products out there that are designed to get you the pH you need, so why not worry about the steps and just throw some of that in? My issue with those products is that they do not list the ingredients. You have no idea what your water profile will be and if it adheres to style guidelines. Would you just add any old hop or malt to your recipe if you had no idea what it was? I think not. Taking an extra 15 minutes in recipe formulation for water is really worth its weight in gold. Whether it's a golden ale, or a golden lager, it's up to you.
hbt-dark-1859.jpg

Great article! You mention something that I had wondered about, but couldn't find much information on. You say," If it isn't correct, there isn't much you can do to correct pH in the mashing step. It can take up to 30 minutes for pH to stabilize, but it will correct itself eventually, resulting in a good wort pH and fermentation pH."
That makes me wonder- 1. when is the best time to measure your mash pH? Surely to get an accurate reading in a one hour mash, what- mid-way through? And then if you do need to correct, what then? Extend your mash time?

@rxpx40 in short the goal is to 'lock in' the buffering of your water before adding it to your grains. For mashing the buffering should be strongest within the 5.4 - 5.6 pH range.
Buffering is a way of measuring just how much your water will resist pH changes when acid or base is added. When all is done correctly the pH of your water will not drift much once grains are added to the mash.

Good article - I have just recently been reading up on water chemistry and it seems like it can get very complicated very fast. I really like the post on HBT "A Brewing Water Chemistry Primer", under the "Brew Science" section, it gives an easy starting point for someone like me who was never good at chemistry.

Terrific Article. How many of the unneeded elements are removed from boiling? I know chlorine is removed by boiling. Not sure about the others. Again Terrific article.

Good article. I am as picky as can be about water. Especially when i make clone recipes. Recently I embarked on making a clone of a good friends favorite macro (sorta) brew, Little Kings Cream Ale by Hudepohl-Schoenling Brewing Co., for his wedding. I went so far as to get the water profile from the municipality in Ohio, where it is made. The funny thing is that in the city, Cincinati, where it is brewed there are two water sources. And the two sources are really different. I had to narrow down the part of the city they were in to choose the water profile needed. At this point I could recreate the profile, or I could order the water from the town. Fortunately, I had another friend traveling there for business (driving), so I had him bring me 15 gallons from the same part of town. The recipe turned out great and almost indistinguishable from the original. The difference was "more flavor" according to my friend.

any one have a ph meter you recommend? i went to my lhbs and they all said its not worth it. anyway this is a great article..its a plus for me since both beers that were mentioned are next on my list. thanks

Good point on the pointless nature of chalk ( calcium carbonate) in brewing. I recently learned this the wrong way. Add this to your strike water and it just turns it cloudy. Takes days to react apparently. Result. Mash pH too low and fermenting beer pH too high. Great article. Thanks

@Allergic2hops Having volatiles that will boil off, like chlorine, may not be an issue in extract brewing, but in all grain brewing they will cause problems. When we Lauter, it is with water that is between 150-170F. Not nearly high enough to boil of any volatiles. And to make things worse, this water sits in those grains for 60-90 minutes, before we boil the wort. All that time imparting the characteristic flavor of each contaminant.
Here is a list of boiling points for the most commonly found contaminant compounds and their boiling points:
Bromate - as Potassium Bromate boils 370C (698F) [occurs in chlorinated tap water]
Chlorine - as Sodium Hypochlorite (bleach) boils at 101C (213.8F)
Copper - as Copper (II) Nitrate boils at 170C (338F)
Iron - as Iron(III) Hydroxide boils at 135C (275F)
Manganese - as Manganese Oxide boils at 3,127C (5,661F)
Nitrate - as Potassium Nitrate boils at 334C (633.2F)
and as Ammonium Nitrate boils at 210C (410F)
Nitrite - as Sodium Nitrite boils at 271C (520F)
Silicate - as Sodium Silicate boils at 1,088C (1,990F)
As you can see none of these contaminants except Chlorine can be boiled off at the temperatures we boil wort at.
Lesson: Use the cleanest water you can!

@tommyguner03 I like the Etekcity 0.05pH High Accuracy Pocket Size pH Meter, and it is under $25 at your favorite online store that starts with A and ends with n. However, I use a chemical test instead. Just like testing pool water. I take a 44 ml sample and add 5 drops of Phenol Red Sulfonphthalein, the red stuff, and compare it to a color chart.

@ku5e That's awesome! I'm in Cincinnati, so I know about the two water sources.
@Daniel Charles - You should have mentioned how you are targeting those water profiles. I like using Bru'n Water, though there are others. It takes a little getting used to, but now it's second nature for me to enter a recipe and do my mineral and acid additions to target pH and a water profile. And then you can print out a summary sheet I use while brewing.

@tommyguner03 I use the Hanna HI 98121 model, it's not cheap but it is accurate and reliable. A good quality pH meter and reverse osmosis water will provide very consistent results when building your brewing water profiles.

I use the Milwaukee MW-101 pH meter. I paid $75 at the online evil empire that is named after fierce warrior women. It features a separate, replaceable pH probe (and yes, they do have a usable lifespan and will all eventually fail), ATC and 2-point calibration capability. The old saying, "You can either pay me now or pay me later" applies. If you buy a cheap meter you'll either soon be replacing it, or else your measurements will be inaccurately or unreliable. If you buy a meter that has an integrated probe you'll have to replace the whole meter. You'll end up spending more than if you'd invested in a good meter to begin with.

Here's a question:
I've done a couple of partigyle brews where I wanted different styles for the big and small beer. I did a mash of some base and crystal malts, then used steeping grains to make the big beer a stout and left the small as a pale or something similar. I focused on the mash ph, but tried to find info on whether the ph effect of the steeping grains would make a difference in fermentation or taste of the final beer. I couldn't find anything helpful. Any thoughts on that practice?

I recently entered my 10th year of homebrewing, and I've had some very excellent beers over that time. Quite a few beers have placed in competitions, and I considered most of the beers I made to be "commercial quality" at that time.
About 6 months ago, I started brewing with proper water (RO + added salts per the profile I want), and I have to say that my beer is immediately and noticeably better as a result. It's amazing to make a hefeweizen that actually tastes like fresh hefeweizen from Munich.

Thanks Edwort. Do you think you'll update your recipes to reflect water additions? I still have brew and rebrew a few of them..
Also I'd love to learn more about copper causing oxidation and perhaps the levels of copper that come off wort chillers if anyone has any info on this..

This may be elementary, but can most of the chemicals mentioned by eliminated with the use of a water filtration system? And can the pH be adjusted from there? Or is using distilled water a better bet?

@ku5e, again terrific info. Did horribly in chemistry but love brewing ... maybe it was the subject matter! LOL! This is really good to know. I appreciate the reply.
A2H

Would like to clarify mash pH. If I have a PTC pH Meter (temperature corrected) what should mash mash ph read.
ta in advance......

Having taught college-level aquatic chemistry for a number of years, I am probably as geeky as it comes WRT water chemistry in brewing. Understanding the underlying chemistry is not for everybody, so my general advice is this: unless your normal tapwater is unusually "soft" (as my well-water happens of be), start with 100% RO water and add what you need/want. Getting things out of water is a PITA. Second, save your money on the pH meter. When the electrode goes bad (and it WILL eventually), your readings will be less accurate than with the much cheaper alternatives. I use the paper test strips with a pH range of 4.5 to 7.5. Completely adequate for checking mash pH.

Good article!
Doesn't altering your water to match a specific municipality's public water supply assume that the brewers there aren't treating their water somehow? I've heard that brewers in Munich soften their water through boiling or other means.
I think getting the correct mash pH for your grist is the more important point.

Camden tablets are as far as I go right now towards treating my tap water. When I have more time/money I will definitely start customizing my water profile. Nice simplified article!

I'm having trouble with porters and stouts...lighter beers seem to be just fine. I'm using my local tap water and I'm intimidated by the whole water chemistry thing. I get regular Culligan 5 gallon deliveries and I'm wondering if I should switch to it for brewing...I've requested a water chemistry report from them. Once I know my water and hopefully can figure out targets from recipes, how do I figure out how much to add to make "x" amount of change? And then I test the pH when? and change it how? Can you tell I'm a liberal arts major and never took ANY chemistry in school? LOL. The article wasvery instructive in explaining a possible reason that my saisons are great and my stouts and porters aren't.

a very good article about a difficult subject.
BUT.... I'm by no means anywhere close to an expert on water but I'm having issue with saying the less sodium the better. you don't want to much, but you want at least a little bit to round out flavors. I'm lucky enough to deal with fresh snowpack water that's close to RO water. I usually add a little sodium. also the role that Calcium plays in the clarity of beer is not fully understood.

@ku5e: when cloning the water profile of a city where a brewery is located; what if the brewery takes that source water and treats it so that their brewing water is different from the (1 of 2) sources?

I had always purchased jugs of filtered water from the store. My tap tastes very chemically. Is this good or bad?

@joes RO is reverse osmosis water. I've started brewing with it. Initially with a 75% RO and my tap. Still didn't get the flavor I wanted. So now I'm taking a stab at the all RO and additions according to the brewing water primer. My esteem for AJ (and others) who answer all questions there is limitless. It's a long read, but my last step to perfecting the craft (I believe). Cheers.

This is a fantastic article. Water chemistry made easy.
How long does chlorine (the amount municipalities use to treat drinking water) take to evaporate from water if it is left at room temperature?

You can remove chlorine from municipal water by aerating it. You can use an aquarium pump air compressor and an air stone to make bubbles at the bottom of your container. For 5 gallons at room temp it should only take a few hours. Or you can put your water in a wide mouth container like a bucket and vigorously shake a few times a day, leaving the lid off in between. But If you're just leaving the water out at room temp without aeration it can take a long time (weeks) for the chlorine to evaporate out.

Great article, thanks! So far my water treatment has focused solely on getting the correct proportions of the good ions. This article has made me realize I've neglected the bad stuff (except chlorine, where I use the aeration method). Does anyone have guidelines on acceptable concentrations of the bad ions (copper, iron, manganese, nitrite)?

Living in the country, my water supply is well water run through a softener. I have no idea what chemicals are present. Any thoughts as to checking for chemicals.

@TooDogly Chlorine comes out easily... a couple of days on it's own, faster if you bubble it out. Chlorine is simple.
NOT simple is Chloramine, which most municiple water suppliers have switched to. Check you local service: It's likely they're using Chloramine, either instead of, or in addition to Chlorine.
The reason is simple: See how easy it is to remove Chlorine? It leaves all on it's own... it's just too volatile. Not good if you managing millions of gallons. Chloramine lasts for weeks or months, so it's much more effective. And a LOT harder to remove.
I recommend just using RO or distilled water, and add the elements needed back in to build back up. I use Burton Water Salts for my brewing, which is simple way to give you a water profile that's great for most English Ales, stouts and porters. You could dial it in further to customize for each, but that's a lot more stock to keep on hand and measure out for every single batch, so I stick with Burton to KISS.

Soft water is used by all commercial brewers. Best if water in non-municipal water, that is non chlorindated and bufferred, that is "hardened". Deionization is almost always needed. This has to be carefully monitored so that shed sodium is tolerated.

Latest posts

Back