how imp. is fermentation temp?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davidv53

Reaction score
Just put in primary fermentor yesterday at around 2 AM---Its been about 18 hours so far and there is no sign of bubbling, although I can feel some pressure on the lid. Even when I press down on the lid, however, no bubbling. I know it may be just a bit too early (I'm making American Amber from a Brewer's Best kit), but I was just wondering how important it is to have it at the suggested temperature.

The only dark place I can put it in is about 76-78 F throughout the day and then cools down a bit at night. Is this going to affect anything drastically?

It's important for consistency and to achieve the expected characteristics of a particular yeast... but you'll make beer regardless. :)

You are probably using an ale yeast, so the temperature is not too high, but it is in the upper ranges of where you would want it to be. Give it time, it should be fine.

Esters and other flavors will increase at a higher temp. The yeast will be a few degrees above ambient temp so you'll actually be in the 80's. What yeast are you using?

You may want to try and find some mauribrew dry yeast if you brew in the future and can absolutely not control temerature. It works as high as 86F.

There is also the wet towel cooling method that someone on here will explain in detail I'm sure. :)

Doesn't have to be a dark place as long as you cover the carboy. Dark t-shirt works great for that.

I pitched my yeast last night (Liquid) around 11Pm and I'm not bubbling yet either. Not worried in the least. RDWHAHB.

Used a powdered yeast just called "beer yeast" it came with the kit so i'm not really sure what type it is...

Hmmm. Do your self a favor, ho to a hbs and pick up a pack of nottingham (danstar), saf-04, or 56 or other name brand dry yeast, hydrate and pitch that. Those anonymous dry yeasts that come with kits are not always the freshest.

Should I go ahead and do that soon, or wait a day or two?

Thing is I dont live near a hbs, I would have to drive over an hour...

I've had some trouble keeping temps down myself, I'm contemplating building some sort of chiller but I haven't gotten around to it yet (winter is coming so it's not on the top of my beer priority list). Anyway, the high temps can lead to a banana like aroma/flavor, just ask my pumpkin ale.

davidv53 said:
Should I go ahead and do that soon, or wait a day or two?

Thing is I dont live near a hbs, I would have to drive over an hour...
If your not bubbling tomorrow morning, do it! Seriously. That will be more than 24 hours and I'd be getting nervous. Before you run off, though, give it a good stare for a couple of minutes to make sure nothing is happening.

davidv53 said:
Even when I press down on the lid, however, no bubbling. I know it may be just a bit too early (I'm making American Amber from a Brewer's Best kit), but I was just wondering how important it is to have it at the suggested temperature.

If you press down on the lid and you don't get bubbles, you most likely have a leak somehwhere and the beer is already fermenting happily.

The only dark place I can put it in is about 76-78 F throughout the day and then cools down a bit at night. Is this going to affect anything drastically?

For me, temperature control is after sanitation one the most important aspects of the brewing process. Some styles/yeasts are more forgiving than others. If you can't ferment in the proper range of the yeast, look into brewing a different style of beer, that benefits from high fermentation temps. Belgians come in mind for higher fermentation temps.

Kai

How can I tell if its fermenting w/o the bubbles?

Is it ok to open the lid and look at it? What should I look for then?

davidv53 said:
How can I tell if its fermenting w/o the bubbles?

Is it ok to open the lid and look at it? What should I look for then?

It's ok to open the lid, but be careful to keep the exposure to the outside air minimal. You are looking for foam (Kraeusen) or gunk on the top of the beer.

Kai

Latest posts

Back