How I Got Kicked From Beer Advocate (& HBT)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Heres another one of Garys posts:
I know that much the only people who drink fruity beers are women and men who sexually gravitate to the same sex (queers)

Id like to think this will get you banned on any home brew site as it has absolutely no relevance to anything. As a member of BA I say dont let the door hit you on the way out.

Surprisingly though, the other forums of BeerAdvocate are very friendly and devoted to helping beginners grow. But the Homebrewing section is a joke. If you visit there for homebrewing advice, you'll hate yourself and end up wanting to quit brewing before you get any constructive criticism that can actually help you. If you disagree, then you have bought into their bullchit.

Hmm so you are right and anyone who disagrees is drinking the coolaid huh? :smack:
I find it to be quite the opposite. Most of the ba forums are full of trolls, whale hunters and extreme snobbery, especially the trading section.The homebrew section is a lot more low key. I havent 'bought into' anything I enjoy both of these sites and its kind of disappointing to hear you be so narrow minded as you are someone whose posts I respect on this forum. Obviously HBT is going to be much more robust as this is an entire site dedicated to homebrewing as opposed to small sub-forum.

Heres another one of Garys posts:

I know that much the only people who drink fruity beers are women and men who sexually gravitate to the same sex (queers)

Id like to think this will get you banned on any home brew site as it has absolutely no relevance to anything. As a member of BA I say dont let the door hit you on the way out.

Funny that he left "extreme homophobia" and bigotry out of his original post.

@gary_oak
I mean I work really hard on forming my recipes and I think every step of it out and I think just the fact that people have to ask if it's a good idea or what would happen shows that they didn't really put much thought into it.
Please. If someone is asking if it is a good idea to use something in a beer, that hardly means they put zero thought into the recipe. You really should consider taking it down a notch or two here. Just yesterday I asked if adding tart cherries and lime zest to my saison was a good idea. Given the style itself and the temperature to which I fermented, I was unsure if the lime AND cherries would work. Clearly I put thought into it because I considered that I fermented on the highest side of the yeast temperature resulting in certain flavors that may conflict with my additions. Why do you get to run around saying people don't know anything because they didn't read a book or because they have the audacity to ask if something sounds like it could work in a beer?

Homebrewing is constantly evolving in my eyes. People are willing to push the limits and experiment. In fact, @oldsock is known for testing the boundaries. If you even consider him as someone who doesn't know what he is doing then you'd look like a damn fool.

I honestly believe you came here acting as though people over at BA were rude to you, but from where I stand and based on the very few threads I could pull up of yours over there, I think you may have been the contributing factor to the rudeness.

I liked you just from the thread title.

There's nothing worse than a loudmouth who clearly thinks he's (it's usually a he) smarter than everyone else.
This is actually what the OP has done. Read his first post again where he actually mentions his book reading then qualifies his opinion of someone not knowing something because they've never read a book on home brewing. How he knows that, I'm unsure, but he certainly makes it sound like 4 books in, he definitely has more qualifications than most over at BA. I just didn't see it that way.

Even the phrase IMO separates the men from the boys. On this forum, people generally don't feel the need to chime in when they want to feel smart. And even dumb statements are usually handled with tact and patience.

But I think as a culture we don't understand what trolling actually is. Nobody is going to ferment a baby, it's just funny or not funny. Your post is about as much a waste of time and bandwidth as those shyttie recipes. Except it made me laugh instead of facepalm.

Trolling is when it's believable and you trick people into getting heated. Like asking if anyone else's pet dog loves drinking IPAs, or why women are so much worse at brewing. That'd be a legitimate reason to ban someone.
Asking if you can ferment a baby likely rubbed people the wrong way. Ergo, the trolling label. It was a thread created with the knowledge that it is absolute BS and it was essentially done to mock those who actually asked legitimate questions about whether or not ketchup could be used in a beer. I read the thread and the discussion was not meant to be a face palm inducing discussion.

The OP's response to someone asking about water additions; however, was a face palm type of response. He responded with "drywall". He adds nothing of value when he does that. While it is funny, to him more than maybe others, it simply tells me that he enjoyed having fun over there just as much as the next guy, or gal. I've added random responses to people but not when someone is asking specifically for help. The OP, on the other hand, was derailing the thread when a member was looking for genuine help.

This has to be a joke. So, I'm guessing I'm a total noob because I've never read a brewing book. i suppose I also probably don't spend any time or put any thought into creating recipes. I mean, I've only been brewing for three or so years, always all grain, always with my own recipes.(Side note....that doesn't make me better than anybody..)

This guy has to be a joke, especially with his fruit beer comments. Seriously? SMFH

And I'm like that makes absolutely no sense, do you have any idea how long it would take an entire bathtub to evaporate?

Did this remind anyone else of Zoolander?

zoolander.jpg

Also

Ketchup in Beer?

Sounds gross, but who cares.

When to add Peppers to Beer? (Yes hot ones)

I've seen and tasted a number of beers with peppers. Some are quite delicious.

Whisky in beer?

Huh? Is this a joke or a typo?

Hard Root Beer?

Again I don't understand the problem. What's wrong with making hard root beer? You don't like root beer?

So I was about ready to never come back to beer advocate so I sarcastically posted "do babies ferment?" And then got a message that I'd been banned for trolling.

Ha, I agree with the other poster who said that was not trolling. That's obviously just a joke (a somewhat funny one, I gave it a little chuckle). But judging by your attitude and some of your posts that other people have linked to and talked about, I'm guessing the baby post was just the last straw/an excuse to ban you.

And guess what the brewers who wrote those books did? THEY EXPERIMENTED. Just because it was in hard copy print instead of digital form does not make it any more or less legitimate.

Ever read Radical Brewing? He includes all sorts of off-the-wall ingredients: mushrooms, tea, obscure spices, fireball candies. Since they're published, does that make them fair game for brewing materials to you?

I've brewed beers with:

chocolate
pine needles
honeysuckle
wild grapes
dewberries
sassafras
cranberries
cinnamon
coriander
oranges
apples
jalapenos

or a combination of these things, and I've blended batches.

I love alternative ingredients and when I was still a fairly new brewer I liked using fruit because I could freeze it and add it to the cooling wort at 180*F and it would speed up the cooling process substantially while simultaneously pasteurizing my fruit.

Don't knock it till you try it man.

Ballast Point Sculpin IPA with Habanero Pepper

is an outstanding hot pepper beer

all the best

S_M

I've also seen a Sriracha beer at the store. Can't bring myself to spend $10-$15 on something that may be terrible, but it's there. ****. Maybe I should go get it. I wouldn't have thought these types of beers would be good.

My local beer place had Terrapin Chocolate Peanut Butter Porter on draft. A great after dinner beer.

Funny that he left "extreme homophobia" and bigotry out of his original post.

Well, he did say there's a certain way he thinks things should be done....Perhaps the homophobia is why OP does not feel comfortable putting all that "fruity" stuff in his beer. :fro:

On a related note, I have gotten such a reputation for putting fruit in my beers, that my homebrew club has nicknamed me "Angry Orchard" Guess I should read more books, I must be doing it the wrong way :p

I love experimenting with throwing weird stuff in my beers, wines ciders, and meads. I also respect those who choose to be less weird. The diversity and depth of experience of the HBT community makes it exponentially more helpful to me, and even my more "out-there" ideas have been met with helpful advice and encouragement. I appreciate that and try to do the same when offering advice to others on here.

I keep getting a bandaid/diaper off-flavor when i try to ferment babies, do you think its a problem of temp control, or the type of yeast I'm using?

I've heard certain babies tend to give those off-flavors... And that's where I leave that one.

As for the Rogue Sriracha beer. I've heard it's good, but I can't get myself to give them anymore money for experimental beers. I've been burned too much with their Voodoo Donut series.

Welcome. But you will probably get some of the same here. From the sounds of the other site it should not be anywhere near as much though.

Also Ketchup - probably not but give it a try... Hot peppers in beer - definitely done. Jalapeno Ales are plentiful. I did one with crushed red pepper, it was very good. Whiskey in beer - another yes. Hard root beer - probably can be done.

Think about it. Shandy's have lemon, Pumpkin ales, Blueberry ales, Blue Moon uses orange. There are a lot of things used in beers. Why limit yourself.

One of my best beers was a change-up on a pumpkin ale. I used spaghetti squash instead of pumpkin. It was great! It had a nice peppery spice flavor.

If you want to use only water, barley malt, hops and water go for it. I also like to use rye, wheat, corn, candi sugar etc. IT IS STILL BEER!!

And your post about fermenting babies is just disgusting......

your misunderstanding what I'm saying I aid hops and barley are the main ingredients just because it's a fact they are and I didn't feel like listing every adjunct out there. I'm fine with all grain based Malts and adjusts and I'm also fine with pretty much every kind of sugar out there In fact I've been working on a molasses cookie porter for a while it's just when you add things that give beer a completely uncharacteristic flavor and also I limit myself because I have a way which I think things should be done and that's what's going to help me develop my own style I'm not against adding herbs and things to beer in fact I plan on using ginseng and other natural remedies for relaxation and stress relief, it's the people who don't even think about what they're putting in intelligently. I mean I work really hard on forming my recipes and I think every step of it out and I think just the fact that people have to ask if it's a good idea or what would happen shows that they didn't really put much thought into it.

your misunderstanding what I'm saying I aid hops and barley are the main ingredients just because it's a fact they are and I didn't feel like listing every adjunct out there. I'm fine with all grain based Malts and adjusts and I'm also fine with pretty much every kind of sugar out there In fact I've been working on a molasses cookie porter for a while it's just when you add things that give beer a completely uncharacteristic flavor and also I limit myself because I have a way which I think things should be done and that's what's going to help me develop my own style I'm not against adding herbs and things to beer in fact I plan on using ginseng and other natural remedies for relaxation and stress relief, it's the people who don't even think about what they're putting in intelligently. I mean I work really hard on forming my recipes and I think every step of it out and I think just the fact that people have to ask if it's a good idea or what would happen shows that they didn't really put much thought into it.

Well, now we know everyone's been trolled.

Bout time to boot up the banhammer I would say, lol.

I keep getting a bandaid/diaper off-flavor when i try to ferment babies, do you think its a problem of temp control, or the type of yeast I'm using?

Sounds like a water issue. Are you throwing the baby in with the bathwater or without? You need to add campden tablets to get rid of the chloramines and baby poop.

Hmm so you are right and anyone who disagrees is drinking the coolaid huh? :smack:

I find it to be quite the opposite. Most of the ba forums are full of trolls, whale hunters and extreme snobbery, especially the trading section.The homebrew section is a lot more low key. I havent 'bought into' anything I enjoy both of these sites and its kind of disappointing to hear you be so narrow minded as you are someone whose posts I respect on this forum. Obviously HBT is going to be much more robust as this is an entire site dedicated to homebrewing as opposed to small sub-forum.

What? No...

I basically agree with what you are saying aside from those trolls and snobs NOT being in the homebrewing section at BA. They definitely are. That is like the hub for snooty asanine behavior over there. The other forums might be full of naive noobs, but at least they are not rude jerks. This was my main point.

And that make Number 4

The infamous quad post. At least the troll got all of us talking...

More importantly the popcorn discussion died off...

I'm in the kettle corn sucks camp. I've read 12 books on the subject so my opinion is a fact.

Yeah, but have you read the quintessential "Corn: To Kettle?". Because if you haven't, your opinion on the topic is mute. The book is a deep analysis on the art of kettling the corn and contains the rules of the kernel.

I guess I'm a poofy little kettle corn fairy

because I don't ****ing love kettle corn, I love ****ing kettle corn

(marks the first time I've actually posted on HBT using the actual F bomb and not some derivative, just because the ** censoring works so much better for the tone I wish to convey)

What? No...

I basically agree with what you are saying aside from those trolls and snobs NOT being in the homebrewing section at BA. They definitely are. That is like the hub for snooty asanine behavior over there. The other forums might be full of naive noobs, but at least they are not rude jerks. This was my main point.
Fortunately, it sounds like there's one less today than there was a few days ago.

I just had some sweet chipotle popcorn while reading all this. I really gotta get my tired butt up & get my grain bag clean again. And the grain bucket. Then get the other boy up & go get the other one to take'em to work, then get to work...

@1977Brewer I'll take today at 4 pm EST.

The OP's posting of the same response 4 times and his behavior at BA clearly says to me that he has lost his **** and he's nuts.

don't even talk to me about those god-awful popcorn marshmallow ball things, gross.

Now wait just a dang minit, mister, dem's fightin words! my momma made them for halloween every year (razor blades and needles for an added kick) and they were just.......
well, ok, just a damn sticky mess. They were good, but I fell in love with my hygienist that year I was at the dentist so often....was a good year, 1981 I think......................................oh sorry....Little Aldo Nova kicked up in my head :ban:
Anyway, yes, kettle corn sucks.
Traditional either over campfire, or in the pan on the stove with the bad kinda oil, lots of real butter, salt. :rockin: I can tolerate air popped, but extra butter at that point. Some microwave if I'm bein' lazy, but again.....extra melted butter... that oleo **** makes the kernels soggy....and so does no salt butter, or light butter. Wife tries to make stuff healthy, and does well, but this is one I won't compromise.

Latest posts

Back