How I fixed my broken picnic tap

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EDF713

Reaction score
I searched and searched and didn't see anything posted on how to fix your picnic tap if the handle breaks off. Last night I was pouring myself a glass of beer when, POP, the picnic tap handle snapped off, specifically one of the little tabs on the inside of the handle broke.

To fix it, I drilled a hole through the handle and the post on the tap, pushed a one-inch picture hanging nail through, cut off the sharp nail tip, and bent the nail back with plyers. Voila! My picnic tap works again. What homebrewer wouldn't go to such lengths to save 5 bucks? If it breaks again, then I'll buy the replacement.

Here are my pictures of the process. One thing I tried is drilling the hole with a nail rather than a drill bit, until I realized I had a small enough bit. My advice, skip the nail and start with the little bit.

Look closely, there is just one sad little bent tab.

002.JPG

After marking where to drill, here I am drilling (use a bit, not a nail).

005.JPG

Here is the post to drill, through the spot where the tabs fit. You may want to take the tap apart, my bit was long enough I just sat it on the edge of the block.

006.JPG

Here is the nail pushed through both ends of the handle and the post.

008.JPG

It's a little blurry, but here is the bent-off end of the nail.

009.JPG

Ready for action!

011.JPG

so 3 years later i have to ask... how much time did this buy? i'm looking for a drill bit right now....

I honestly don't remember. I think it held on a while, but I've since had to replace it. I think the first picnic taps I got were bad, both broke eventually, but the last ones I bought have held on better, and now that I've been kegging a while I'm probably a lot more gentle with them.

Back