How I almost completely messed up brewday

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

captainkirk83

Reaction score
I have done 2 5 gal biab batches with this one being my third. I do everything inside with the electric stove and have good success with the first two batches and past extract recipes.
My recipe was slightly modified Cream of Three Crops recipe scaled down to 5 gal. Started ok, but had a little too much water to start so had to scoop about half a gallon out after I had poured in half my Grain/grits/rice. Not a big deal. Mash went well other than some small dough balls of grits but hit temps perfectly.
Now comes time to remove the bag. I remove the bag, place in a colander over the brew pot. Once it stops draining I start pressing on the bag using a plate as I have done in the past. Only this time the colander bends sending the colander, bag with 8lbs of grain, and plate crashing into the hot wort which splashes all over me, the floor and walls in the kitchen. So now I realize why it is a bad idea to mess around with 6 gallons of hot liquid.

Now I am mildly burnt, sticky and pissed off at how stupid I am. I clean up with about 6 towels and a mop, fish the colander and the grain out of the pot then put on the stove for the boil. Water is about to boil when I realize that the plate is still in the pot. I fish that out using the brew paddle and some tongs. The boil goes fine other that I spend the whole time mopping wort off of the floor.

After the boil I finish chilling the beer. Cooled wort is in the fermenter and I decide to check the temp before I add the yeast and I drop the thermometer into the wort. Only takes about 5 minutes to fish it out.

So I have no idea what my efficiency was my og on 4.75 gallons of wort was 1.038.

Lessons learned: Don't play with hot stuff and hold onto your brew tools

And yes I was sober, had two beers all day. I had a better brewday when i was drinking out of the liter mug.

Moral of this story-don't press on the grain bag while it's in a collander! I prefer to sparge & allow to drain well. Then put it in a bowl to drain some more,& dump that in the boil.

Back