How hot is too hot for bottle conditioning.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m3n00b

Reaction score
Well...my storage is in my garage. About about 20 cases of homebrew in there. Yesterday I checked and bottles were 80f. Its only going to get hotter...maybe up to 90 in there over the summer. What are the consequences?

I can't speak to 90 degree bottle conditioning, but I bottle condition in my 80f apartment all the time with no issues. 70f is certainly better, the higher the heat the faster the beer ages and risk of off flavors. I would personally look for room anywhere inside such as closets and spare rooms if you have any to store all of your hard work.

I'm in that boat with you! I store my beer in my uninsulated garage as well.

I started brewing in the spring, so don't have many batches under my belt, but based on my general understanding of the process (gotten from reading here) I don't think the issue is a major one.

In my mind, it boils down to fermentation temperature. That is, after all, what we're doing. We're fermenting priming sugar to create carbonation. Just like any other fermentation that runs hot, I think there is the possibility for some off flavors.

That said, I'd also think the possibility is minimal.

Using 5 oz. of priming sugar in 5 gallons of beer contributes 0.003 points to SG according to Brewer's Friend. In my mind, even if the yeasties do ferment that 0.003 SG while hot, they can't through off much in the way of off flavors because there isn't very much there for them to ferment in the first place.

In any event, whatever off flavors might be produced would absolutely pale in comparison to a warm primary fermentation of even a light gravity wort.

I have nowhere inside I can store this much beer. Also, if I had some sort of mess, I'd prefer it be in the garage. I ferment my ales around 65f most of the time.

I'm in that boat with you! I store my beer in my uninsulated garage as well.

I started brewing in the spring, so don't have many batches under my belt, but based on my general understanding of the process (gotten from reading here) I don't think the issue is a major one.

In my mind, it boils down to fermentation temperature. That is, after all, what we're doing. We're fermenting priming sugar to create carbonation. Just like any other fermentation that runs hot, I think there is the possibility for some off flavors.

That said, I'd also think the possibility is minimal.

Using 5 oz. of priming sugar in 5 gallons of beer contributes 0.003 points to SG according to Brewer's Friend. In my mind, even if the yeasties do ferment that 0.003 SG while hot, they can't through off much in the way of off flavors because there isn't very much there for them to ferment in the first place.

In any event, whatever off flavors might be produced would absolutely pale in comparison to a warm primary fermentation of even a light gravity wort.

You're right down the street from me! Do you go to stein fillers?

You're right down the street from me! Do you go to stein fillers?

**Warning, veering OT**

Hello neighbor!

I do indeed go to Steinfillers. I've been to Addison's once (in Fullerton), but I like Steinfillers better.

80F bottle conditioning should be fine. That's about where most of mine are. Usually just means bottles are carbed in less than a week!

80F is fine. I would start to worry if you get up into the 90F-100F range, simply due to the whole PV=nRT thing. I had a can of seltzer explode in my car that I left in a sunny parking lot on a hot day - aluminum can was torn apart yet the pop top was intact. I'm glad that A) it was just seltzer and not sugary soda and B) that I wasn't in the car at the time. I walked out to my car and saw that all the windows were fogged up (it was about 90F that day). I opened the car, sat in my squishy wet seat, and found the can remnants behind the rear seats under the rear windshield. The car interior was probably over 120F, so you probably don't need to worry too much about this if you store your beers in a sensible location.

80 should be okay. My AC is set at 78' and they do fine in a closet.

Yup already 90 out and its only 11:00 going to be well over 105 today and Sat I have my beer inside and it gets to the 80's if no one is home and the air is off. I had one bottle explode last summer wasn't home at the time, have no idea why all the rest of the batch was fine.

Probably just a weak bottle. 90 strikes me as a bit high, but it depends upon the carbonation level, in part. The higher the carb level, and then temps, the more likely you are to have bombs. That kind of heat, long term, isn't going to help the flavor at all, either. If you plan on polishing these off in a month or two, though, I doubt it's a big deal.

Probably just a weak bottle. 90 strikes me as a bit high, but it depends upon the carbonation level, in part. The higher the carb level, and then temps, the more likely you are to have bombs. That kind of heat, long term, isn't going to help the flavor at all, either. If you plan on polishing these off in a month or two, though, I doubt it's a big deal.

I need to start drinking more.:rockin:

A guy told me he put a three week old carboy in his 100+°F garage and cooked it. Seems like he said it went bananas. I don't remember it clearly.

I would worry about autolysis. I know, I know, the ‘primary only’ crowd is going to say “No such thing”. Think before you flame. I would bet the farm that a Texas garage can kill yeast.

I have tasted autolysis in judging, though it is very uncommon. I don’t know how they did it, but there’s no mistaking the dead meat putrid flavor.

A guy told me he put a three week old carboy in his 100+°F garage and cooked it. Seems like he said it went bananas. I don't remember it clearly.

I would worry about autolysis. I know, I know, the ‘primary only’ crowd is going to say “No such thing”. Think before you flame. I would bet the farm that a Texas garage can kill yeast.

I have tasted autolysis in judging, though it is very uncommon. I don’t know how they did it, but there’s no mistaking the dead meat putrid flavor.

exactly!

Man I hope I never have to taste that. My fermenters are all sitting good at 65-70. Except I have a barleywine in secondary which is around 75F.

According to the thread below, and there are some differences in understanding, the temperature that starts to kill yeast is in the 120-140* range.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f13/what-temperature-kills-yeast-67272/

120 for a Texas garage isn't out of the question, but 140 would seem a little high -- says the guy who lives in southern California, which while warm, certainly isn't as warm as parts of Texas in the summertime.

I certainly wouldn't bottle condition above 80, much less 90+. I think bottle-shock can be noticable at those high temps.

I normally leave my bottles in milk crates in a closet but this weekend it'll be over a 100. So I took them all out and transferred to a few ice chests and made a swamp cooler out of it. I'd rather not take any chances

Good thing I didn’t bet the farm. Thanks Mozart!

Having thought about it further, My buddy’s garage was probably more like 85-120, so the beer would be in the middle, say 95-105. The OP’s bottles are going to track much closer to the air temp than a carboy.

Sounds like he needs to stay below 90 max.

Yup already 90 out and its only 11:00 going to be well over 105 today and Sat I have my beer inside and it gets to the 80's if no one is home and the air is off. I had one bottle explode last summer wasn't home at the time, have no idea why all the rest of the batch was fine.

This is exactly why I'm trying to get my chest freezer prepped ASAP. Unfortunately the sealer I used to seal up the seams on the inside takes 7 days to cure (grabbed the wrong tube)... As soon as this first application cures, I'm grabbing another and putting on a second coat to get it going.

...Way too much beer that could potentially end up ruined

Well I have my slightly used 13cuft chest freezer drying out right now. It was pretty dirty and I want to make sure it wont stink before I put my carboys in there. Good deal at $60.

Back