How fast do you guzzle your 5 gallons?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

S.T. Out

Reaction score
My family and I started drinking a nut brown on tap friday night and now its monday, and it's almost empty :cross: Having beer on tap in your home is wonderful.

I figure to keep us (5 drinking adults) happy we need like a keg and a half a week. Guess I need to look into a larger setup.

How fast do you all drink a 5 gallon keg? Or how fast do you get through your 5 gal in bottles?

homebrewer_99 said:
I'm the only drinker in my house so it usually lasts a long time.:D

Same here. I'm a pretty moderate (but just about daily) drinker. Before I started brewing, I used to try to make a sixer last a week if possible. Now I probably average more like 10-12 a week--more if SWMBO is out of town like she is now. (What else is there to do after the kids go to bed?)

So unless I entertain more than usual, I can make a 5 gallon batch last a pretty long time, especially if I'm drinking from more than one batch.

i'm only on my third brew out of a keg but the first one took me close to two weeks.. but my last keg lasted 2.5 days for two of us... (thurs. - st. paddy's day warmup, fri. - st. paddy's day, sat. morning - last day of 6 nations rugby)

I usually give away about 3 six packs immediately to friends who sometimes chip in for ingredients or lend a hand here and there with bottles and whatnot.

That leaves me with about 1.5 cases of beer (36 bottles) for me and my wife to share. I average 1.5 beers a day, SWMBO averages 0.5 beers a day (augmented with wine).

So... a batch of beer, after all is said and done, lasts us a couple of weeks. That's why I tend to brew a batch every 2 weeks. :D

-walker

About a month for me-sometimes less, sometimes more. For instance, I have 2 stouts that will last a while since they are aging, and I am only drinking them to test. The current fully conditioned batch is already 1/2 gone and has only been in bottles for 1 month, so it has only been "ready" for about 2 weeks, but that was the St. Patrick's Day brew. The raspberry that I have going shouldn't last that long since it was a small batch and my wife is waiting to get her hands on it.

Hate to say it but I must be a lush:drunk: Either that or I just like beer. I usually have 3-4 beers a night on the week ends and don't like to think how much on the week ends but I suppliment my HB with commercial beer. (I know, I know). Anyway I usually end up brewing every 2 or 3 weeks depending on the weather and free cash.

I guess I'm a lush as well. Part of the reason I ramped up to brewing 10 gallons at a time was so I could save money by cutting back on my commercial beer purchases. I usually consume 1 or 2 22oz. bottles a day:tank:

That's what two toddlers will do to ya!:drunk:

A month or two. however, I just finished off about 3/4 of one in a week with a long weekend. I had overprimed and one of them had already blown. Don't call AA yet, I had some help.

Billybrew - Is your sig. quote from Neal Stephenson from Snow Crash?

One of my favorite all time books to re-read!

Alembic said:
Billybrew - Is your sig. quote from Neal Stephenson from Snow Crash?

One of my favorite all time books to re-read!

Yes, it is! I ran out of characters or I would have added that. Yeah, me too as far as favorites. Right up there with Dune and Startide Rising by David Brin.

I'm about ready to reread it again. I've read it twice and still get confused about all of the computer virus and human brain, etc.

Have you read his other books? I'm finishing the System of the World trilogy right now. It's great. It's like SF set in the 1400's.

What a freakin' smart guy!

glibbidy said:
I guess I'm a lush as well. Part of the reason I ramped up to brewing 10 gallons at a time was so I could save money by cutting back on my commercial beer purchases. I usually consume 1 or 2 22oz. bottles a day:tank:

That's what two toddlers will do to ya!:drunk:

Reminds me of a onesie a buddy of mine pointed me at to celebrate the arrival of my 3rd kid. On the front it reads "Daddy drinks because I cry" ;)

Hard to say, as I'll have 5-10 kegs around at a time. Currently the oldest is a 3 year old barley wine, the newest is a straight apple cider I did in Feb.

I probably average a keg a month. Back when I was brewing with "Guzzle Boy", it was three kegs a month.

For health reasons I have to be careful so I try to drink one or two beers a day. Maybe 3 for a special occasion. I would say I go through about 5 gallons a month. I'm the only one in the house that drinks it so it lasts awhile.

I could probably go through 2 5 gallon batches in a month, if the month was just a little longer. I usually run out between brews and supplement with PBR, or another premium beer:) .

Need to step up my brew schedule.

Mostly just me drinking it, with an average of 1.5 a night, a little more on the weekend. I always have a few brews on hand at the same time so 5 gal. lasts me a couple months. Although, my brown will probably go fast. I split the wort in half and made an English Brown for the keg and an American Brown for the bottles. About 2.5 gal. made it into the keg, and the American Brown filled 12 22oz. bottles. The keg is now almost empty! :D I imagine that when I get my kegerator up and running, the kegs will go faster. :)

sudsmonkey said:
I could probably go through 2 5 gallon batches in a month, if the month was just a little longer. I usually run out between brews and supplement with PBR, or another premium beer:) .

Need to step up my brew schedule.

Cheese and rice, alkie!!!!!

I struggle to finish 1 keg in 2 months.

2 things prohibit this though--I get all this free beer from St. George's for helping out, and I buy a crapload of beer still.

I've had that smoked porter on tap since late December. It is almost gone though. Prolly make another one soon if I'm not in the desert this summer. It'll be great for drinking with BBQ food.

Dude said:
Somebody needs to tell the Army it is hot outside.

That way, they can pass it on to the Air Force.

Cheese and rice ? ( I'm alot slow )
Alkie ? That's no way to refer to a virtual friend that may or may not drink more than you. I prefer " Lush" . Has a better ring to it.:cross:

Back