How fast can bottles carb up?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FrostedMug

Reaction score
I bottled my witbier extract kit last thursday and primed 52 bottles with 5 oz of priming sugar. Tonight will be exactly one week of the bottles conditioning at temps around 65. I was going to wait 2 weeks to try one, but this being my first brew ever, im starting to get antsy. If I chill one up tonight and give it a try do you think it might be decently carbed up after a week? Whats the fastest youve ever reached a full carbonation?

I tend to wait 2-3 weeks, but after a week or two I'll put one in the fridge for a couple of days for the CO2 to dissolve then give them a try. They get MUCH better with more time, but can be quite good after only the short period.

Give it a try.

B

I have sampled low gravity beers after a week that had decent carbination. Go ahead a chill one and see, you will prbably be able to tell a difference between it and waiting anther week or so. Enjoy

As B said and from Revvy's great post, leave it conditioning for at least 2 weeks (better if you leave it for 3). It will most likely be carbed in 1 week but conditioning is all about carbing, it is also about getting the best flavor out of your beer.

Also, Revvy mentioned keeping it in the fridge for another 2 weeks after conditioning.

Going to put a week old IPA in the fridge tonight and either enjoy later, or this weekend. Then I will probably wait 2 more weeks before tasting the rest.

Last night I tried a nut brown ale that was in bottle for only one week (six days, actually). It was pretty darn flat. I'll chalk it up to a learning experience, and I'll probably wait two more weeks before trying another. FWIW, the temp of the room in which the bottles are conditioning has averaged in the mid-70s.

As B said and from Revvy's great post, leave it conditioning for at least 2 weeks (better if you leave it for 3). It will most likely be carbed in 1 week but conditioning is all about carbing, it is also about getting the best flavor out of your beer.

Also, Revvy mentioned keeping it in the fridge for another 2 weeks after conditioning.

+1 to this.

I have found most of my ales are ready to drink within 7 days of bottling, but improve both in mouth feel and flavour after 2+ weeks of conditioning and several days in the fridge.

Beers will generally carbonate faster than they'll mature. Don't forget,you're doing both! Anyway,to answer the OP's question,I had my Sunset Gold APA carb up in 7 days. but the flavors,aromas...even color didn't mature until 22 days in the bottle,week to 10 days in the fridge. Another thing I need to keep in my note book is consistent "how long in the fridge" notations. Pages of notes on each brew,& wouldn't you know I'd forget that lil piece of info on every batch going into the fridge. Dang.

I remember the excitement from my first batch and my eagerness to try the first beer. All others have stated the proper advice, wait 2-3 weeks to condition at room temperature, then put into your fridge for another week before enjoying. It allows the beer to fully carb up, and enough time to allow the CO2 to saturate into your beer. That being said...go ahead and crack one open. Then, open another next week. I found the best way to satisfy my curiosity and learn patience was to try my under-carbed, green, flat beer. After the first two batches, I decided, its just best to let the yeast do its work, and let time take care of the beer. Plus, you get to see how your beer matures and changes over time. Brewing is a learning experience, and learning when to drink your beer is no different.

I guess you're right. I guess I just forced a little more patience on myself after listening to advice here,& on the cooper's forums. It was a cooper's micro brew kit,after all. Interesting to note that I learned a ton more patience,& far less worrying after that 1st batch. Started mixing & matching from the 2nd brew. I must say,this extract brewing stuff is fun. But I've also learned a different set of rules to make good ales with them.
They do intertwine with regular brewing practices though. Just not completely the same game. But that's the challenge now,isn't it?!:tank:

My first batch, a wheat, was fully carbed in a week (Grolsch bottles, not sure if that makes a difference) but wasn't drinkable for almost 6.

I have a few recipes I can serve out of a bottle in about two weeks. Do they get better with age? Not much. It's all about the fermentation. If you use a long primary or a secondary carbing will take longer just because the yeast are old and totally dormant. Revvy and Bob about called my a liar years ago when I first started posting here. They lost credibility by me. They were wrong.

I have a few recipes I can serve out of a bottle in about two weeks. Do they get better with age? Not much. It's all about the fermentation. If you use a long primary or a secondary carbing will take longer just because the yeast are old and totally dormant. Revvy and Bob about called my a liar years ago when I first started posting here. They lost credibility by me. They were wrong.

Don't sweat it,man. Been there with the same big guns more than a few times myself. I'm just used to being a lockhorn. Mine def get better with age,but I'd have to say 5-7 weeks on average,usually about 5. Unless it's some thing big &/or heavier. They carb quickly & greatly,but the flavor doesn't develope quite as fast.

I use a few Mr Beer plastic bottles when I bottle a batch just to test the firmness of the bottles, whence the carbonation. Most times, the plastic bottles show a firmness in less than a week. I use these bottles too as an indicator of potential beer bombs. :D

I agree with most of the other posters in here. It is good to let your beer bottle condition for 3-4 weeks, but it is even better to know why you do that. To that end, you must open them, one every few days, to get a feel for how it changes and what conditioning means.

It's great to know in theory why you wait, but better to know why first hand. My first beer I opened one every 3 days or so, and it gave me a really good appreciation for the way it changes over time.

Cheers!

It always kills me when people spit out the proper response about patience but neglect the fact its a newer brewer. I think its important all newer brewers try out their beer young. This way they learn how it changes first hand. It's an important learning experience and grows patience.

Rev.

One of the pompous blowhards on this board insists that it takes "a minimum of three weeks at 70˚F", but that theory has been disproven by many of us, myself included. I'm not going to say how long it takes. It depends on the beer itself, the yeast, and the environment it's conditioning in. I will agree that "three weeks at 70˚" is the traditional wisdom, but it's not a hard, fast rule.

Just cracked open a stout which was bottled 6 days ago, and it's stellar (I opened one at 3 days and it was pretty flat). Last batch I opened one in 7 days, and it was done. Every batch I've ever done (I think, or at least close to it) I've opened around a week after bottling and they're finished.

Give it a try- If you dont have some carb after a week or two move your bottles to a slightly warmer area. 70-75 itll carb.

So I tried one... And I'm glad i did! It was great! I can't wait to try it in another week or two and see how it improves. Succesfull first brew!

So I tried one... And I'm glad i did! It was great! I can't wait to try it in another week or two and see how it improves. Succesfull first brew!

Awesome man :mug: Don't ever feel shy to try one or two ahead of the "ready" date, you learn things this way!! Then when you have them after 3 weeks in the bottle you can see the difference. With some brews there is little difference between say 1-2 weeks in the bottle and 4-5 weeks in the bottle. Other brews however significantly improve, and in some very rare cases some even worsen with age.

Point is sacrificing 1-2 bottles isn't going to harm anyone nor your batch... well unless you're doing 1 gallon batches lol :D Anyhow, congrats man. Now that your curiosity has worn off you can rest assured it will be a great brew and calmly wait out the rest of the time. And while you are at it don't feel shy to have another a week later ;)

Rev.

Indeed. I taught SWMBO the importance of patience tonight by opening a bottle from my first batch that had been in bottles for 2 weeks. Once I emplained what fusel alcohol was, what causes it, and that time might possibly lessen it some, she was more receptive to the idea of leaving the rest of the bottles in the closet for a couple more weeks. It's a learning experience. If nothing else, you learn patience!

Hi all,

I"m new to brewing, and also to this forum, and just today bottled my first batch of "The Brew House" brand liquid wort kit beer.

Your answers to the original question about how long to wait until it is ready to drink and all carbed up was very helpful, so thanks for that!

In response to the comment about tasting the young green beer before it's ready if your a newbie, well, I did just that, in fact, when I finished bottling, there was only a half bottle left at the end, not enough to cap that one, so I drank it, haha.

A bit bitter, and oddly sweet from the priming sugar, but at the same time, not bad actually!!

I haven't keeled over and died yet, so I guess it won't kill me...LOL

Thanks again for all this great info, I will also follow your suggestions!

Chris ;)

One of the pompous blowhards on this board insists that it takes "a minimum of three weeks at 70˚F", but that theory has been disproven by many of us, myself included. I'm not going to say how long it takes. It depends on the beer itself, the yeast, and the environment it's conditioning in. I will agree that "three weeks at 70˚" is the traditional wisdom, but it's not a hard, fast rule.

When we say that,as I've also said many times,we're not just waiting for it to carbonate. We're also waiting for the brew to properly mature. And that takes longer than carbonation. Using o2 barrier caps helps a lot too. If you think that when it's carbonated,it's ready,you're half right. And name calling isn't a good thing here,flaming just turns things negative.
So,as mom used to say,"be sure brain is engaged before putting mouth in gear". lolz...:D

3 weeks at 70 is a general rule of thumb. Among other things, it is intended to prevent newer brewers from starting a post about "No Carbonation - Is My Beer Ruined?"

Not all beers take 3 weeks to carbonate. But if it has not been 3 weeks at 70, then don't post about how you are worried that there is no carbonation yet. And if it has been 3 weeks at 70 and its not carbonated, don't post about it. Many beers take longer.

IMO, this is what 3 weeks at 70 is about. I have never taken it to be an absolute rule.

Well,like I said,it is maturing,mellowing/mixing the aromas & flavors as well. Not just waiting to carbonate. I feel it's important to stress this. Maturity comes later than carbonation in most cases.

Agreed. Barleywine or an imperial stout can take months to years to fully mature.

I do not interpret the 3 week/70 degrees rule to have any relationship to maturation.

It is a guideline for carbonation only.

Well,like I said,it is maturing,mellowing/mixing the aromas & flavors as well. Not just waiting to carbonate. I feel it's important to stress this. Maturity comes later than carbonation in most cases.

Not saying I disagree with you because I've personally seen the change, but what about all the people that keg and force carb and start drinking their beers only two days later or so? Do you think they all just leave it in the primary that much longer before kegging?

Rev.

That's been another topic of debate here as well. Although I have read of some keggers giving them a couple weeks to mature under some light pressure. I see many keged brews in the post your pint thread that are cloudy with little head. That tells me there was little aging time. So yes,in that case I still think aging time is still needed. Commercial brewers keep kegs cool for a couple weeks to allow maturation. And the 3 week @ 70F rule isn't just for carbonation,although it is a basic guideline for that as well. Beers aren't properly matured merely because they're carbonated sufficiently. That's def wrong in general. Some wheat beers & light pale ales may be the exception,as I've experienced. But others have prooven to take longer to mature than to carbonate. Keep notes,& after several brews,go back & read them. It's cool to see what things carry over into a pattern of sorts.

Revvy's bottling thread states: "There's no real fixed time that this process occurs." He than states: "For most simple ales, the rule of thumb is 3 weeks @ 70 deg."

I don't know anyone, including him, that "insists" on any "minimum" bottle conditioning time. In fact, I think most experienced homebrewers' mantra is simply "wait longer." Beer not carbed up? Wait longer. Beer tastes weird? Wait longer. Aging can work wonders for beer, especially at the quantities that we are making.

Or not - we don't really care, we're just sharing what has worked for us. If you want to pop off a cap on a week old beer, go right ahead, I can almost guarantee that it won't be great, though. In my experience, it tastes best after about 2-3 weeks at room temperature and 2-3 weeks in the fridge. As always, YMMV.

Both of my two batches were decently carbed after a week. I think it really depends how fast your yeast get into action.

Yeast viability is part of it,certainly. Like I've also said,beer is like pit bbq...it's done when it's done. But basic guidelines are an average from past experiences. Good things to know when you're wondering why something's amiss.

unionrdr, I absolutely agree with you as far as allowing the beer to mature goes, even with kegging. I just started to keg, in fact my last batch, a cream ale, was my first kegged batch. Being new to the process, I innocently figured, hey if I pressurize at say 20-25 psi, rock the keg back and forth and force it into the keg, then let it sit for a few days and bring down to serving pressure, it was good to go. Sure, the beer was well carbonated, bubbles throughout, good head with nice lacing, but the taste wasn't quite there--it was way too sweet and had an alcohol taste/kick as if I added vodka or something to it (which I did not). Over the next two weeks, I noticed a big change in the beer. Its now on its third week in the fridge, and its an amazing beer. The flavor mellowed and lost its overly sweet, sugary finish and the slight alcohol burn was gone.

I learned first hand that carbonated beer doesn't mean mature beer, and mine was far from mature after 3 days under carbonation. Even my dad, who is mostly a BMC drinker noticed the significant difference after it sat for two weeks. It was really the first time I've realized that I can make great beer, but I cannot rush the process, even by forcing CO2 into it.

Just what I've been trying to get across to everyone. Thank you for posting that! Carbonation isn't maturation. Period.

///smug comment follows///
And I have found that for most of my brews, they cease to improve in flavor after 6 months in the bottle
//end smug comment/////////

Latest posts

Back