How Far Would You Drive To A LHBS?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I ran a HBS, I don't think I'd even open before noon on week days, then stay open until 8 or 9. Then 9am to 10pm on Saturday, 10am to 8pm on Sunday, and closed Mondays.

Yeah man, I think you are pretty close with that. Guessing a very few stragglers would be buying beer stuff at 930 am lol.....

When I started there was one about 30 minutes away and a better one about 45 minutes away. The closer one folded. I visited them about 4-5 times a year. Got a new one about 10 minutes away and visit quite often. If it were not there I would still visit the far one but would do most of my buying online.

If I ran a HBS, I don't think I'd even open before noon on week days, then stay open until 8 or 9. Then 9am to 10pm on Saturday, 10am to 8pm on Sunday, and closed Mondays.

What about the people that want to stop in the morning because they don't have to work until afternoon?

I find it funny that almost nobody ansered the question that was asked.

Right now i drive 5 miles to a great shop but would drive ~30 if that shop wasnt there.

Oddly, I just checked the hours of my LHBS and it seems they've changed their hours recently. Used to be 8:30 AM to 4:30 PM, now it's 10:00 to 6:00 and 7 PM on Thursday. Maybe the change in seasons?

There was never one close enough so I had to order everything online. Then one opened up about 45-55 minutes from me depending on traffic, which is now very do-able. It's nice to have one around (more like a luxury for me) so I think people should support their local home brew store. Good luck with your business.

John

I've driven 30 minutes out of my way to hit a HBS. Much more than that and I will just order online. I usually pre-plan my brewing well enough that I dont need last minute items.

Mine is ~15min away and well stocked. I have gone to others (great price on bulk grains) about 45min away.

I try to keep the brick & mortar stores in business and avoid on-line ordering, but I am also close to my LHBS.

My LHBS which has existed since 2001 has hours Wednesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays 11:30AM - 6:00PM and Saturdays 10:00AM - 2:00PM. The store was actually opened by the owner's wife as primarily a wine store (hence the name, The Wine Smith) but now she doesn't work there at all and he's retired from one career and runs the store as a second. If I was in his shoes I think I'd be open about those same hours which are enough to sustain the business but not so much that I go crazy being there.

The store is about 15 minutes from my office but about 30 from my house so I almost always visit during work days. There's another LHBS about an hour away which I've never been to and would only visit if I was driving in that area anyway. So for me right now I'd drive up to 30 minutes but not much more than that to shop at a LHBS.

I used to have a 45 minute drive to the closest lhbs but about two years ago one opened up on my side of town. It's about 15 minutes away.

I would drive 15 minutes.

150 miles... about 2.5 hours, assuming no road construction, accidents of avalanches. I try to stock up a bit and have enough for several batches. They also will mail a small box for $10.

Only one on the island of O`ahu. Takes about an hour to get there depending on traffic...Online shopping is rough since they charge an arm and a leg to get it here.

I'm quite lucky by having one about a 5-minute drive from home and another that opened last year about a 10-minute walk from home. :D

What would you consider morning time brewcat? 10am? Earlier?

10am would be the latest I'd open during a weekday.

For the thread:
I'd probably drive 30-45 minutes one way regularly. Even at 2 hours I could do it every month or two.

10am would be the latest I'd open during a weekday.

For the thread:
I'd probably drive 30-45 minutes one way regularly. Even at 2 hours I could do it every month or two.

I guess it will be trial and error :)

Back