How far do you drive to your job??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
oldthreads.jpg

:confused:

45 min to a hour.

I've been doing it for 5 years and it's getting old. Good thing I'm only working 3-4 days a week.

A couple years ago I was working 7 days and that sucked.

If I was to do it all over, I'd move as close as I could to work.

I spent most of my professional career doing 30 minute each way commutes to either Athens, GA or Gainesville, GA. One year I worked in Atlanta with an hour commute each way. That got old fast. I always thought 30 minutes was reasonable until I found a job 2 miles from my house. I took a pay cut just to get the position. Now I have about a 10 mile trip to work since I drop the kids off at school and a 2 mile trip home. My favorite part of living so close is eating lunch at home. That alone has probably saved me more than my loss in pay. It's also nice getting home right around 5:00. That extra half hour makes a big difference, especially in the winter.

I just switched to a new office. Went from 45 min to 1.5 hours each way with traffic, to 27 miles and about 35 minutes now without traffic. It is a lot better, traffic drives me crazy.

Depends. My office is 7 miles from my house, but most of my work is not done in the office. Some days I drive 0 miles, some days I drive 120 miles (round trip), some days it's 400 miles.

About 21 miles each way. It takes 30-40 minutes depending on the route I take, accidents, and weather. About once a year it snows so bad it turns into 2 - 3 hours in one direction.

80 miles round trip, 5 days a week. All country, takes about 50 minutes one way. The property taxes greatly offset the fuel bill, but it's the wear and value on the vehicle that take a beating. "5 years or 60 000 miles" ain't nowhere near 5 years. Forget leasing, too.

I don't hate the drive though. It's been 12 years and I find that it's a nice psychological ramp - ie. by the time I'm home, I'm home.

I took a new job back in December that doubled my commute... from 2 to 4 miles.

I used to do 30 miles each way, and I've sworn to never have such a distant commute, no matter what.

Eight miles from home to town, all via country backroads. If I ride the moped, it takes 17-19 minutes at 130 miles per gallon. I can commute all week for about three bucks.

If I drive, it's about eleven minutes, but I don't save on the gas.

32 miles each way. Takes about 50 minutes in perfect weather. Sometimes it's annoying, but the utter seclusion and a lack of light pollution at night make it all worth it. And I've become a lifelong Subaru fan.

I drive from school to work, and that's about 25 miles by freeway. It's shorter on the map, but by freeway I have to go north and then loop around and come at it from the west. If I got off the freeway and took streets it would take even longer.

Currently approx 32 mile on way and 45 min depening on traffic.

Worst 93 miles one way about an hour 45 min, Friday night it was usually a 2-3 hour trip.

17 minute drive to to the train station...then another 70 minutes or so til I am in my seat at work. Average of 3 hours per day commuting...it is quite the drain. Need to find a new job :)

Approx. 3 blocks driving in a company vehicle which I get to take home every night. It takes 5 mins tops if I hit the one and only stoplight on the way.

about 10 miles right now. by the fall, it'll be less than 3 miles. when I first started working in Gillette, WY my wife & I lived in Rapid City, SD. from our house to the shop was about 150 miles. took over 2 hours to get to work every day.

30 to 35 miles depending if I'm going direct in the truck or backroads on the bike.
I do a reverse commute from most so I miss out on most of the lovely NJ traffic.

Back