How far do you drive to your job??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One more factor to add in general....health. People are a lot less likely to work out if they spend all their time on the road/at work. They're a lot more likely to kick their feet up when they get home, and probably just want to decompress on their days off. Ask me how I know;)

When I work in DC, it's a two-hour one way commute.

1st - 20 minutes to the VRE (Rail) and then wait 5-10 minutes (have to get early to get a parking spot)
2nd - 65 minutes from my station to the metro stop to down town..
3rd - 3-10 minute wait and 10 minute metro rail ride
4th - 5-8 minute walk to the office.

When I don't work in DC, I either work from home or fly to whatever destination nationally.

FYI - my SWMBO's company (major gov contractor) is in the process of switching the vast majority of their employees to a flexible mobile workforce. No one actually has to go to an office. In one year they have been able to shut down several offices and save several millions in facility expenses. Plus the employees are much more happy. This is on TOP of having every other Friday off from work.

I drive 30 miles each way. It usually takes about 45 minutes each way, usually a lilttle less on the way home. Mostly all highway.

FYI - my SWMBO's company (major gov contractor) is in the process of switching the vast majority of their employees to a flexible mobile workforce. No one actually has to go to an office. In one year they have been able to shut down several offices and save several millions in facility expenses. Plus the employees are much more happy. This is on TOP of having every other Friday off from work.

That is SO awesome. Imagine the job satisfaction and overall decreased stress levels people would have if they could work from home more often....

~25 miles, 45 minutes to an hour. It's all back roads, but it's still nasty traffic. If there's any accidents on the highways, the spillover to my route is just astronomical. I've spent ~2 hours attempting to get to work in a bad traffic day. Luckily I split the gas with my roommate who works in the building next to mine so we park in the central grage.

It sucks, and the job I'm interviewing for this week is only like 12 miles from the house and is all back country roads until you get into town (the last 2-3 miles of it).

Whoever is paying $3.49 a gallon - god bless you. Fill up while you can!!

2.6 miles round trip....company car and gas card. I too am the poor bastard who gets called in at 2am.

SWMBO is about 12 mins from her office, and she is on the 9-80 plan....basically off every other friday.

Oh, and I have to go into DC all the time DC = teh sucks

Stuffed a CNC mill and lathe in my one car attached garage. When I'm really hung over, I wander out there in my boxer short and slippers and load parts. Not rocket science, but it pays the bills.

So the commute is stepping through the doorway from the kitchen to the shop.

(And the kegerator is in the kitchen :tank: )

6 miles, about 15 minutes door-to-door.

I am in the minority here as I would actually like to live farther away. I work at a chemical plant with two fuel farms on either side, if one thing goes wrong, half of chesterfield county wil be a crater--including my house.

I am about 1/2 a mile from door to door but it really sucks being that close. I am the poor bastard that gets called in at 2am because I am so close

don't answer the phone :) thats what I used to do when I lived across the street form work.

Wife and I used to live between about an hour away (in opposite directions) from our respective workplaces. Thankfully, we bought our house right before gas prices really started ramping up. It's now about ten minutes to get into the office for me, and she's working literally down the street, maybe a quarter-mile. Now, she's going to start commuting back to school for her doctorate in the fall, so that's an hour each way, but only two or three times a week.

What I like about living so close is that if I need to get back to the office on the weekend (to get stuff caught up, or just get away for a bit), it doesn't kill the whole day. I can run in for a couple hours in the morning, or after I'm done brewing, or whatever. So, yeah, it's definately a lifestyle choice; I mean, I listen to NPR and the Jamil Show and stuff in the car, but that's not where I want to be spending my time.

I drive 1,000 miles a week, and that's no joke. my gas bill is bigger than my mortgage and im going broke.:(

Just before starting my Christmas vacation last year I went from working at home full-time to commuting 30 miles each way every day. The customer wanted contractors on site - then outsourced 95% of the work to Vietnam. If they weren't idiots they wouldn't need my help, but that doesn't make the drive any easier.

I've managed to hang onto 2 days a week at home, but those other 3 take 30 minutes driving to work and 45 minutes to an hour coming home. I despise it. Most mornings I think I'll die at some point, and most afternoons I fear someone else must die.

Do absolutely everything you can to eliminate the commute. It's not just for your health or SWMBO's, urban sprawl has caused a lot of our problems with gas prices and housing costs.

Mine is an hour one-way. Wife is a half-hour. The amount for our cars, insurance and gas is more than our mortgage and it sucks.

My commute is 10 miles, on the dot, and it is almost all highway and heading the opposite direction from traffic. It takes about 15-20 minutes for me to get from my kitchen table to my office desk.

I cannot imagine actually choosing an hour commute over a shorter one. A nice home is great, but not if you are never there. I also know what I was like when I had a more difficult commute. I was stressed out and pissed off for at least an hour after getting to the office and at least an hour after getting home. That is not a nice lifestyle.

TL

Its an 8 mile bicycle ride for me. I do that year round. I figure the 16miles a day riding allows me an extra beer or two in the evening. :D

My wife drives about 3 miles each way, so even with trips and visits to friends and family we come in at about 10k miles a year on the auto as a family.

When your figuring the cost of your commute, don't forget to add deprecation, maintenance, extra insurance etc. to your figures. Not including your time, driving is expensive.

Craig

I live 2.5 miles from my work, the subway is right outside my apartment and right outside my office door to door it is 12 minutes. If it is a ice day I can walk to work in about 45 or bike in about 20.

About 10 feet for me. I work from home. I did have an office that was 13 miles from home and took me about 30 minutes to get to. My office in LA was also 13 miles away and took me about an hour each way each day. Working from home has it's advantages, any chance you get to lessen your commute, take it.

8 miles.....

past 3 schools and a college

I leave my house at 7am and get to work 30 min later

13 stoplight and one 4 way stop

29 miles each way and takes about 45 minutes on a good day and 60 minutes+ on a bad day. I get about 22mpg which i consider good compared to my 13mpg I got with my old blazer. I want to buy a truck though in the fall but with these gas prices though I may just have to pick up a beater truck as my 2nd vehicle.

I cannot imagine actually choosing an hour commute over a shorter one. A nice home is great, but not if you are never there. I also know what I was like when I had a more difficult commute. I was stressed out and pissed off for at least an hour after getting to the office and at least an hour after getting home. That is not a nice lifestyle.

+10. An hour commute sucks...

Right now I do 26 miles each way and it's all highway. I can do door to door in 30 minutes. Until the beginning of the year I was doing 37 miles and it would take 45-55 minutes door to door. That 15 minutes may not sound like a lot, but my sanity came back big time with the new commute.

The wife commute 8 miles but it takes her 20-35 minutes because it's all lights.

I just bought a house and in less then a month I'll be doing 7 miles and less then 10 minutes. The wife will be doing 16 and it will be able the same 25-35 minutes.

My take is don't do it. You'll just end up hating the commute and the house. I used to be an avid driver. Once I started sitting in a car for 1.5 - 2 hours a day, I started to despise driving. Even now I will rarely go anywhere just because I'm still sick of all the driving I used to do.

5 miles and I can ride my bike. Driving it takes me about 6 mins, the only thing I might get caught up in is a moose. Riding my bike takes about 20 mins. Didnt today because I needed to get to the LHBS.

I used to commute into NYC everyday to work during the summers. That was a *****. On the train I would leave at 6:15am and get to Manhattan at 8am. Leaving I would get on the 4:45pm and be back at 7:30pm. Plus the $500 p/month for a student train ticket and Metrocard, sucks. If there were major storms then it could take all night. One time there were tree's down on the track and we sat for about 3 hours, I had my dad come get me and some other people who lived in the same town. We didnt get back till 9:30pm that night.

Commuting sucks, dont do it. If you can take a job 5 mins from home which might pay less then an hour commute with more pay, do it. Money can't buy happiness, but posting this at work and getting home before someone can respond does.

10-minute free bus ride. Gas is ~$4/gallon here now (don't worry-- you will see that too soon...). Why drive is you don't have to? Waste of time and $.

I drive 24 miles each way everyday. 2 stop signs, no lights. It is all backroad then I-35. I ride my motorcycle almost everyday. I do not miss my 134 mile round trip commutes to Austin!

7 miles on the dot from my driveway to the parking lot at work. I also ride home for lunch/nooner most days too.

65 miles one way. 5 days a week. And some weekends. In ATL traffic. Driving an oldsmobile.

My commute here in northern Illinois used to be .75 mile. Since 1 July 2009, it is ZERO...that's what happens when you retire!

But I worked in Dallas, TX for five years, and lived in Plano, TX. My commute was 15-16 miles, and I quite often had to do it TWICE a day. Needless to say, it got old really fast!

glenn514:mug:

We just bought a house. Where I lived, I was right between both my jobs. 30 minutes to one of them and 20 minutes the other way to my weekend job. Figured when I bought a house we'd end up closer to one or the other. Nope. We ended up moving to the ONE place that would be FURTHER away from BOTH. Now I have a 50 minute drive to my full time job and a 40 minute drive to my weekender. How do I always manage to do things this way? :D

I've got a tough nine block stroll. Sometimes I even have to jump on my skateboard when I'm in a hurry.

Latest posts

Back