how far above ground level should you hill up hops plant?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matteo57

Reaction score
So I'm doing research and trying to figure out how high above ground level should you plant your hops? I know you are suppose to plant them kinda up on a slant/tiny hill type thing so water doesn't pool at the base of the plant. How high up? Just like a half foot? foot?

Thanks!

I don't know what I'm doing, but I posted this picture before and nobody said I was doing it wrong :)

garden.jpg

My dad also grows hops. My dad's are just in the ground without a mound. They are healthy.

Depends. Mine are in raised boxes so drainage isn't an issue...also if you have a naturally slanted hopyard, there isn't too much worry in planting them a little deeper.

Variables, my fellow hop enthusiast...variables.

If your yard is perfectly level, I'd go a few inches above ground at most...unless you have looser soil...if more on the clay side, then perhaps a bit higher

The mound definitely is not a necessity, but it does help with drainage. So I don't think it needs to be very high at all, I think even a few inches would do a lot with drainage. The one thing I have read is that mulch is very helpful if you do build a mound, because sticking it out of the ground like this will make it more likely to bake in the sun.

Not a gardener at all, just passing on my impressions.

Perhaps one of the pro growers her can correct me if I am wrong. Besides drainage mounding also helps control(as much as can be controled) root and rhizome growth making harvesting rhizomes easier, and helps control growth for ease of equipment entering the feild for harves cultivation etc. Are there other benifits? I'm sure(again calling on the pro's for help), I however have mine planted in the ground with 0 mounding, however my soil has no drainage issues, and there was no standing water. Like kbuzz said variables. Soil and drainage at your house might not be condusive to straight planting.

A small hill will do, ours are maybe 4"-6" to start but they will settle over time.

DWRHAHB

Andy

I have hard clay for dirt here where I live so I don't want a bunch of water to pool around as it soaks in when watering.
Also another question I had was if I plan a hop plant next to some other plants... will it end up over time (a couple years) take over the garden? Should I plant it outside of my garden area?

I'm not a pro but I planted mine in an area that gets walked in so haveing the mounds really helps keep them from being trampled at the start of the season. I also have different varities and it helps me keep track.

It will take over your garden over time, but the roots are really recognizable, so all you have to do is cut them every spring or every other spring and you will be fine. They don't take over en masse like some plants.

Latest posts

Back