how does this SMaSH sound?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

defenestrate

HBT Supporter
Reaction score
i just recently read about smash brewing, and i like the idea behind it. i opened up beertools and this is what i made up.

13# 2-row carmel malt 10-L
challenger .5 @ 60 min
.5 @ 30 min
.5 @ 5-10 min
brewtek CL-630 american microbrewery lager yeast
(figured i could ferment it outside with a lager yeast with temps holding at 45-55 degrees now)

criticisms wanted! :mug:

Well, you can use 13# of two row, but not crystal malt. Crystal is NOT a base grain, so that must be a typo.

If you want, you could home toast some 2-row in the oven to get you a toasted flavor, though.

Actualy.....on this theme......my next beer is probably going to be MO and Challenger SMaSH. Anyone use Challenger? WHat should I expect as far as flavour/aroma?

well now im second guessing the 2 row. that might be a good smash for the summer but i would like to make a heavier lager for the winter. i've never used lager yeast, it should be fine outside as long as the temps are in the right range, correct?

I've used Challenger pretty extensively. It's like a slightly stronger EKG's or Fuggles. It's very nice, and has a great british-floral aroma. It's personally my favorite British hop.

Your hop schedule looks great - for a non-IPA pale ale, .5oz @ 60, 20, and 5 minutes is pretty much perfect. You might move your 30 back to 20.

There's nothing wrong with just 2-Row. If you want a heavier lager, mash high - at between 154-157*F. (That said, Maris Otter will add some breadiness that you wouldn't normally have) Toasting 1# of the base grain is a great way to add complexity, too.

And if you want to dry it out for summer time, mash between 149-152*F.

Cheers! You picked a great hop, hope you like it! Welcome to SMaSHing! ;)

I've used Challenger pretty extensively. It's like a slightly stronger EKG's or Fuggles. It's very nice, and has a great british-floral aroma. It's personally my favorite British hop.

Your hop schedule looks great - for a non-IPA pale ale, .5oz @ 60, 20, and 5 minutes is pretty much perfect. You might move your 30 back to 20.

There's nothing wrong with just 2-Row. If you want a heavier lager, mash high - at between 154-157*F. (That said, Maris Otter will add some breadiness that you wouldn't normally have) Toasting 1# of the base grain is a great way to add complexity, too.

Cheers! You picked a great hop, hope you like it! Welcome to SMaSHing! ;)

I LOVE that idea- instead of 2-row, maybe consider MO, or Golden Promise, for the base malt. That would give you some English malt to those English hops.

If you still want to use the 2-row, I'd toast even two pounds of it. Toast at 350 in the oven, in a cookie sheet with sides, and give it a shake every five minutes or so until nicely toasted. John Palmer says to then store it in a paper bag for two weeks before using, but I used mine the same day and it worked great.

I can attest to Golden Promise. It was simply divine when combined with Amarillo hops.

I think Challenger's a great choice of SMaSH hop. I made a Coniston Bluebird clone (that just uses Challenger) for which the malt bill was Maris Otter with a little Crystal. That tasted great, and I'm sure it'd be great without the crystal too. If you want to English it up, make sure you go easy on the carbonation - with English hops too much CO2 can come across as harsh.

I can attest to Golden Promise. It was simply divine when combined with Amarillo hops.
if you want something heavier and maltier, go with vienna malt instead of 2-row. best single malt for flavor IMO.
Mmm... I have 40 bottles of Amarillo/Vienna SMaSH conditioning in my brew cupboard now. It's going to be a long 21 days... :D

)

so mashing at that higher temp will really make it heavier? does it extract more color from the grains?...or something else...?

Mashing at a higher temp makes the wort more dextrinous, and less fermentable. It makes for a heavier-tasting beer, but not a more alcoholic beer. Gotta add more grain for that route. Similarly, mashing at a lower temp makes the wort *more* fermentable, which lowers your FG and makes your beer taste drier.

Shouldn't affect the color though.

Back