How does this look to the pros

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mlwahler

Reaction score
i am doing my third all grain batch this week, so far things have went well...couple glitches but pretty good. anyways i am doing northern brewers oatmeal stout kit this week, all reviews said its a little light in mouth feel so i was going to up the grain bill, the original ingredients are:
MASH INGREDIENTS
--6.5 lbs English Maris Otter
--1 lb Flaked Oats
--0.5 lb English Roasted Barley
--0.5 lb English Chocolate Malt
--0.5 lb English Dark Crystal

i batch sparge, i was going to add these to the grain bill to make a little thicker mash to give it more body
Rahr 2-Row Malt - 1 lb. English Maris Otter Malt - 1 lb. Flaked Oats - 0.5 lb. English Extra Dark Crystal - 0.5 lb English Chocolate Barley 0.5lb, i am also going to put 4 oz of choc nibs in the secondary . any input is great

This question is better suited for the "Recipes/Ingredients" forum.

As to the recipe, if mouthfeel is all you're looking for, I would just add some oats, and/or maybe some dextrose. I wouldn't add any extra caramel malt if I were you. You could also try adding a pound or two of Munich malt. The nibs in the secondary should be fine, if you're going for a little chocolate character with your stout.

Are you looking to increase the OG, or merely increase the mouthfeel by itself?

TB

Latest posts

Back