How does Other Half (et al) make “milky” NEIPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dcioni

Home Brewer
Reaction score
Sitting here drinking an Other Half Brewing 4th Anniversary IIPA... it’s amazing. Almost has a “milky” appearance, texture, and mouthfeel. Is that lactose? Different adjunct?

Attachments

• 382D9CDB-FAA8-4B58-88D1-A06A24532CC0.jpeg
    382D9CDB-FAA8-4B58-88D1-A06A24532CC0.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 148
It's been documented that Tired Hands (who helped initiate the milkshake IPA trend) uses apple puree and wheat flour in the boil to create that milky perma-haze look, in addition to oats/wheat and specific yeasts.

It's been documented that Tired Hands (who helped initiate the milkshake IPA trend) uses apple puree and wheat flour in the boil to create that milky perma-haze look, in addition to oats/wheat and specific yeasts.

Yea, familiar w the Tired Hands/Milkshake approach.. wondering if Other Half May be doing something different. I’ve seen some of their beers noting “oat milk” which I’m not entirely sure what that means

052603065702-1_1.jpg

This is what I used for an IPA. I used one pound of flaked oats, one of these, and 1/2 pound of hops in the whirlpool and 1/2 pound of dry hops. Turned out almost muddy looking, but tasted amazing. I found it at Kroger for about $4.00.

I thought OH used Lactose sugar? Thats what they say on their instagram when describing a lot of their milkshake like beers. Just had one this weekend and it was incredible was going to add lactose sugar to my next beer.

Interesting— amazing it doesn’t have lactose, oat milk, etc... it’s so... “their style” to the nth degree. They’re really dialed in

Go to their webpage, click on Taproom and Beers on Tap, then click on 4th Anniversary. This is what you get:
https://otherhalfbrewing.com/beer/4th-anniversary
BEER STATS
STYLE
Imperial IPA, IPA
ABV
10%
AVAILABILITY
On Tap, One-Off
HOPS
Citra, Citra Lupulin Powder, El Dorado, Enigma, Galaxy, Mosaic
OTHER INGREDIENTS
Malt, Oats, Pilsner Malt

No lactose is listed. Lactose is listed on many other menu beers. This strongly implies there is no lactose in this particular brew.

View attachment 558589
This is what I used for an IPA. I used one pound of flaked oats, one of these, and 1/2 pound of hops in the whirlpool and 1/2 pound of dry hops. Turned out almost muddy looking, but tasted amazing. I found it at Kroger for about $4.00.

When did you add? To the boil? Any info would be awesome thanks

When did you add? To the boil? Any info would be awesome thanks

Added at flameout, just before the whirlpool hops. Mine ended up looking almost exactly like the beer in the original post.

I didn't use lactose this time, but I am going to next go round. I've heard to add the lactose at bottling or kegging time to get the right flavor you're going for. Or you can add it at the end of the boil. I've had a few milkshake IPAs, and I really like them.

I once added flour to a boil which resulted in the formation of basically dumplings, I got worried and promptly removed them with a spider. I could see flour in the mash...I'd like to know how people are avoiding making wort dumplings.
Used oat milk with great success although it definitely does settle out after a while and loses some of its opacity.

Back