How does my crush look

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

autonomist3k

Reaction score
Thanks in advance

image-1095519956.jpg

I think it looks good but the real test is conversion and lautering. If it converts in the mash, that's good. If you can't lauter and drian the mash tun or you get a stuck sparge, that's bad but the finer you can crush without plugging up the drain of the mash tun the better your efficiency will be.

The fine parts look plenty well crushed. It doesn't look real floury to me. OTOH there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of husk material in there, which you need for a good drain bed. It's hard to tell, given the resolution of those photos, whether or not some of those larger pieces may be unbroken grains.

There weren't any uncrushed grain, it looked more on the over crushed side to me. I'm brewing today so we'll see how it converted, I already did the mash and had no trouble with stuck sparges. I'll do the math in a little while to check the efficiency. This is the first use of my mill so I'm sure it'll lighten up on its own over time.
Thanks for the input!

Latest posts

Back