How does my beer look?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JJJK29

Reaction score
This is my first batch. This is day 3 of fermentation and I hadn't seen any activity in the air lock so I decided to give it a quick look. I need to buy a fermometer but the weather to too bad to go out.

So my question is: How does my beer look? To me it looks good and it smells nice but I am a little concerned about the two different colors of foam. What is the cause of this?

Here is a picture. This is an El Hefe kit btw

View attachment 170562

Looks like Krausen!

Don't worry. I wouldn't open it up every couple of hours to look at it. I'll open mine up to take gravity readings every so often.

The hardest part is waiting....

Nah. As long as you didn't hock a loogey into the beer it will be just fine. Yeast are actively producing alcohol so at this point it will be harder and harder for any other bugs to win the war. :) Now just be patient and let her sit for another 11 days or so and then start your final gravity checks.

Nah. its plenty active enough that it has a nice heavy layer of CO2 on top. just cover it back up and let it do its thing.

:mug:

If all that kraussen isn't producing airlock activity then i think that you don't have a well sealed bucket. It doesn't really matter as long as it is generally left undisturbed.

The others are right that you're probably safe from infection, but don't make a habit of opening fermenters before you think they might be done because you can oxidize the beer. Yes, there's a blanket of co2 in there, but opening the lid makes a big gust of oxygen rich air.

The hardest part of brewing is just leaving the damn thing alone long enough.

Cool thanks everyone.

I don't plan on opening it again until I bottle.

I have the "ale pail" from brewers best. Bad bucket?

It looks good. I think someone asked the question but I don't think you responded - do you see activity in the airlock? If so, you've got a good seal with the lid on. Just make sure it's pressed on all the way - they can be hard to get 'snapped' down, but they'll snap in place usually without too much problem.

Good luck, and be patient! Go drink a beer! :)

Cool thanks everyone.

I don't plan on opening it again until I bottle.

I have the "ale pail" from brewers best. Bad bucket?

Good bucket. Used by lots of people. I prefer a Glass Carboy because I like to watch fermentation without having to risk compromising the brew by opening the bucket. That's just me though. Plenty of debate threads on HBT about bucket vs carboy vs better bottle. I won't go there. Any are good and it is all a matter of preference.

It looks good. I think someone asked the question but I don't think you responded - do you see activity in the airlock? If so, you've got a good seal with the lid on. Just make sure it's pressed on all the way - they can be hard to get 'snapped' down, but they'll snap in place usually without too much problem.

Good luck, and be patient! Go drink a beer! :)

It was snapped down well, I made sure of it. However I think I trapped too much air in it by not pressing down on the center before completely sealing it.

That's no worry. It's off-gassing co2 very quickly. Air is pushed out easily. Oxygen BEFORE fermentation is desired, not avoided.

Back