How does my APA recipe look?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't think I would change anything. I looks like a very good recipe. You will like that one. Good Luck

I agree, that looks very tasty. I like the complexity of malt and hops. You'll have a distinctive flavor, for sure.
good luck

monk

Thanks for the replies. I have to confess that the malt bill is not my own creation, but it sounded pretty tasty when I saw it in another recipe. I'll keep you all posted on how the brewday goes and what the beer turns out like.

Well, the brewday went pretty well. I was nearly dead on with my preboil and final gravities, which was pretty much pure luck considering I had no idea what my efficiency would be. I guess it is around 72%, which I can definately live with. The only problem I had was that my cooler mash tun seemed to lose quite a bit of heat through the lid, so i had to add about 3/4 gallon of boiling water half way through the mash to bring it back up. I wrapped a big blanket around it after that and it seemed to stay pretty stable. I did a 2 liter starter and the yeast starting bubbling away in the fermenter about 3 hours after I pitched :rockin: Anyway, it smells outstanding right now, lots of citrus and pine...mmmmm.

I do have one question for some of you experienced all grain brewers. When I did the runoffs for both my initial mash and the batch sparge, I got quite a bit of grain matter into the brewpot and, subsequently, into the fermenter. I vorlauf-ed (is that a word) about 2 quarts off each time and the runnings looked pretty clear. I ran off the rest into the brewpot as fast as my system would allow as per Denny Conn's recommendation, but I have a 1/2 ID valve and tube so I think this may have been too rapid. Would slowing down my runoff rate add to the clarity of the wort I collected?

Dustin_J said:
Would slowing down my runoff rate add to the clarity of the wort I collected?

First of all congrats on your first AG brew!

Slowing down the run-off would probably help, but it sounds like you need to vorlauf a bit more. When I do it, I usually run off about a half gallon or more at a really slow speed, after that I can let'er rip.

I'll probably try to slow it down a bit, but from the sounds of things it shouldn't really make too much of a difference. I'm sure the grain matter I got will settle out just fine anyway.

Thanks guys

Just an update.

The beer fermented down to 1.010 (~1.056 OG after recalibrating my hydrometer) in 3 days, by far the fastest and most thorough fermentation I've had. My only concern is that it fermented a bit warm (~73 F), but I couldn't pick up strong esters in the smell or flavor.

I'm really glad I went with the Maris otter, as my mash temp got a little low so the beer fermented out more than I was hoping for. I think American 2-row would have been too dry. As it stands, it smells and tastes very nice, just enough malt to support the bitterness and the victory and munich are noticable but ceratinly not overpowering. I wasn't plannnig on dry hopping, but the hop aroma and flavor aren't quite what I want so I may go for an ounce of centennial and/or simcoe for a few days before I bottle.

Is there any chance of the hop aroma and/or taste coming through more once the beer ages a bit and gets carbonated or not so much?

Back