How does beer get an Infection?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheFear1980

Reaction score
I have not run into this problem and nor do I want to. What are the signs and how do I prevent it? Also by Infection u meen a sour batch I cant actually get an Infection right?

I have not run into this problem and nor do I want to. What are the signs and how do I prevent it? Also by Infection u meen a sour batch I cant actually get an Infection right?

Infection is actually the incorrect word choice used frequently... it should be contamination. It usually comes from poor sanitation practices where a wild yeast strain or bacteria makes it into the wort or beer and eventually becomes somewhat dominant. This can do alot of things, including making the beer sour and pretty much un-drinkable from a taste and smell point of view, gushers, etc. It can also be desired in some sour and lambic beers. So it doesn't necessarily "ruin" the beer, but it can. You can avoid it by cleaning your equipment well and practicing good sanitation. The signs are usually, as said before, an unbearable odor or taste, gushing, etc. This link may be of some help.

You get an Infection by not being sanitary. Always Clean your equipment directly after racking or doing anything with your beer. If you use plastic buckets make sure not to scratch them. Make sure you keep a clean kitchen/brew area. Use Starsan or Iodophor. The things that can infect your beer will not kill you they will just make your beer sour.

HA!!! I sanatize everything with bleach1st and non rinse sanatizer later ( which I still rinse ) I do have plastic bucets which I scrub with my bottling brush and bleach and I power wash and rinse with my shower head on massage so hopefully Ill be good... Ill get a scarf asap lol

HA!!! I sanatize everything with bleach1st and non rinse sanatizer later ( which I still rinse ) I do have plastic bucets which I scrub with my bottling brush and bleach and I power wash and rinse with my shower head on massage so hopefully Ill be good... Ill get a scarf asap lol

By rinsing the no-rinse sanatizer, you are potentially reexposing that surface to bacteria that may be in your water. Even household tap water still contains bacteria and the pipes in which is flows is certainly not sterile.

the no-rinse is used for a reason...don't rinse it.

Edit: You could boil your rinse water, but that add another clumsy step to the process.

Both... Beer is hardy stuff, so as long as you are practicing good cleaning and sanitation, it's not easy to contaminate. One of my favorite Revvy quotes "Wild yeast strains and bacteria are not acrobatic ninjas." However, you are bound to get one sooner or later.

Back