how does a pint affect you

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bluehouse

Reaction score
I am a small woman I like beer but I drink like one pint and I am practically slosed. So how does it affect you and how can I enjoy more beer without getting so drunk I can't enjoy b eer?
also for some reason i don't get as drunk on wine,maybe i drink slower? dunno

As a fellow Janet without the same problem (I'm 5'9" and not fragile in build), all I can say is to drink low ABV brews. :mug:

wow so it's not just us 5'2" puny ass people who get lit on a pint? goog to know

I make lower ABV beers, so I can enjoy a couple. I'm pretty small, but I guess I have a high alcohol tolerance and can drink a few guys under the table. I've gained some weight since I've been brewing, and I'm up to 135 pounds now so maybe that's why I can drink more than I used to.

Usually a noticeable slight buzz from 1 pint of 5% beer. On an empty stomach 1 will get me a little loopy. Eating is a big key. Also better for your liver! I'm 6', 195lbs, decent tolerance.

So Janet, now I have to question whether or not you're really in Texas. :)

Personally, I'm 5'4" male, so not a big guy. However, I seem to have the best of my Irish heritage and can drink a few pints of strong beer before noticing anything. Now granted, your body continues to absorb alcohol for like an hour after your last drink but still, I can have a few with almost no "feeling" of having it.

Also, my mood seems to affect my tolerance. I once had a really bad day and downed like 8 SNPA's and could barely believe I wasn't buzzed. Kinda disappointed actually.

BTW my old man is 5'4". Neomich, I live down the street from you. I secretly stalk you when you aren't looking. You wouldn't notice me, I'm just like eveyother middle aged sex goddess in your neighborhood. LOL

Okay, so I retract my doubt of you being a Texan. Anyone with taste as good as yours has to be from here.

But, seriously, if you're stalking me, what are you actually going to do with 2 leprechauns? One leprechaun's good luck but I don't think I could deal with the competition. Me gold is me gold!

P.S. Yes, SWMBO is about 6" taller than me. But, I make up for it where it counts.

Depends on the pint. A pint of Sierra Nevada Pale makes me happy while a pint of Palo Santo Marron makes me wear lion pelts and sing Que Sera Sera in Russian.

Depends on so many factors for me. How much I've ate, my mood, whether or not I'm tired, etc... Some days I can drop 22oz of Imperial Stout or a Triple with no issues, other days a 6% IPA gets me a bit loopy. My tolerance is definitely more than it used to be though.

Depends on the pint. A pint of Sierra Nevada Pale makes me happy while a pint of Palo Santo Marron makes me wear lion pelts and sing Que Sera Sera in Russian.

You have quite a point but then why would wine not hit me hard it has a much higher alchol content? then again the beer wears off quicker, already starting to be clear headed. I bottled in some in one liter bottles so of course we have to drink it all up right away when we open it so it does not lose pressure. HWMBC drinks it with no problem and it knocks me down. I guess I will just have to live with that.

Some beers have a higher alcohol content than wine. Maybe you just stronger beers.

Depends. If I am out, I can have a few, maybe 4 over the course of the evening. If I am camping, I'll drink all day. Literally. We usually start right after breakfast with bloody marys or old fashioneds, then it's on to beer for the rest of the day and night.

If I am home, I'll have one, maybe two, and though I am not drunk, I get tired and am ready for bed.

Make small (session) beers. They are much more of a challenge than the big ones. Working with an SG below 1.040 and ending up with a tasty beer is something most American homebrewers can't do.

A pint of Black Panther stout on an empty stomach will put me to sleep. I can drink Bent Rod Rye all day without a problem.

Make small (session) beers. They are much more of a challenge than the big ones. Working with an SG below 1.040 and ending up with a tasty beer is something most American homebrewers can't do.

+1. Though we like to scoff at those beers, we for the most part can't produce them.

Low grav session beers is all I am doing. Gone are the days when I could have 10-12 pints of ordinary bitter and still walk home from the pub. 4-5 pints of my 4% ABV homebrew bitter gets me quite nicely lit these days......I'm getting old. :(

1 pint? No impact on me. Depending on what I'm drinking the 2nd one might get me buzzing a little bit but I can typically drink 3-4 before I start feeling anything. Then again, I'm not a small person. :D

varies so much from the day to the beer to the phase of the moon. A typical 4-6% beer I will be aware I'm drinking after 2 pints usually.
But yesterday after work I went and loaded 16 8"x8" solid 3/4" fence panels, 21 8"4x4's, and 21 50lb bags of quickcrete, drove home and unloaded it into my garage with help of course. I am pretty lazy, this is work for me. Granted it's now 7pm before unloading and I hadn't eaten since 10:30am.
Upon arriving home I drank a Miller light (There is a time and place and this was it) before unloading everything in about 2 minutes. It just tasted perfect. :)eek: The Blasphemy). Then I unloaded and swallowed a pint of my MO/Galena Smash and then had another one with dinner. I didn't feel anything.
Other nights I may feel something after one pint.

I usually down about 4 bottles (12 oz. ea.) of McEwan's Scotch Ale (8%ABV) before I start to feel it. After doing the math, it works out to 3 pints. I start to feel it after about 3 glasses of 12%ABV wine. I'd guess my wine glasses hold about 8oz each, so that would be about 1.5 pints. I find that, for me, a wine drunk wears off quicker than a beer drunk; no idea as to why. I also find that a wine drunk is different from a beer drunk. Do others find that the type/quality (for lack of a better term) of drunk can vary from one type of drink to another? Regards, GF.

You have quite a point but then why would wine not hit me hard it has a much higher alchol content? then again the beer wears off quicker, already starting to be clear headed. I bottled in some in one liter bottles so of course we have to drink it all up right away when we open it so it does not lose pressure. HWMBC drinks it with no problem and it knocks me down. I guess I will just have to live with that.

well you gotta think volume as well. a glass of wine is much smaller than a pint of beer. (isn't the rule of thumb something like a glass (standard) glass of beer == a (standard) glass of wine == a (standard) mixed drink)

so you;re getting roughly the same ammount of alcohol from a pint and a wine glass regardless of their alcohol%. I dunno about you but I can go through a pint much quicker than a glass of wine. that might have something to do with it.

I just say enjoy your gift of being a cheap drunk. I only wish 1 pint could get me loopy (6'2'' 210lbs)

I've always thought it could have something to do with a blood sugar spike or something.
In my case, I'm a big feller and my first pint will actually get me completely loopy for a while. Seems like by the time I'm done with my second pint, my body has normalized and stable without much of any affects.

I have a hard time getting drunk on beer unless it is big beers. It takes drinking bud light for 3 hours before I am drunk, so prolly like 12 beers.

I have been drinking less lately, but the other night I had a 6'er of Budweiser American Ale and I started to feel quite loopy and my attention span was non-existant. I could barely get more than 4 kills per map on Halo 3 Multiplayer... I used to crush the better part of a 12 pack every night. Granted I was real tipsy maybe even drunk sometimes, but anything less and it was just a light buzz.

I now know why the BAC legal limit is .08, with all of you admitting to "feeling" it after only 1 beer.

I have a pint just about every day, sometimes more. I'm 5'4" and 145 I don't really feel a pint or two, unless of course they are over 7% then that's another story. I'd say make some session beers, you should be able to drink a pint of 3.5% easily.

Back