how do you wire this timer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drkwoods

Reaction score
I picked up a Sestos B2E Timer for my Control panel. But no idea what terminals 2,3,4,& 5 do?? Ideas? and how do you wire them? What would you use them for? http://sestos-hk.com/english/product_show.asp?id=417
unfortunately the instructions are challenging to say the least! LOL

sestosB2E.jpg

4 and 5 can be used as a voltage source for inputs 2 and 3. If you provide a 12 volt signal to input 2 (gate) the state of your output relay will change for the duration that the 12 volts is supplied. If you send a 12 volt signal to 3 (reset) it will reset your timer.

Do you mind me asking what you will be using it for? If I knew I could give you better examples related to your specific process.

I have a single tier three vessel propane filred HERMS system. I have PID's and RTD's for each Vessel. The burners are under the HLT and BK with the HEX being inside the HLT, Pretty standard. At this point all I want the timer for is the MASH time and Hop additions for the boil. But Im always addin stuff and wanted to know what those dang terminals did.. I guess terminal 5 is the (-) side of 12VDC?

iphone 496.jpg

:D thanx amigo! So let me get this right.. if pin 4 contacts pin 3 (with a wire) it will reset the timer? and 4 to 2 will change the state? or does pin 5 have to be involved?

If you look at the "Operational Charts" on the second page, wiring an NO pushbutton between pins 4 and 3 will indeed reset the timer back to the starting point. And wiring an SPST switch (toggle, rotator, your choice) between pins 4 and 2 would give you a "timer pause" mode...

Cheers!

How wild is this? The instructions are even wrong. An NO switch on 5/3 resets the timer and the spst switch on 2/5 paused it.

I hate products where the manual is translated from Chinese. Sorry

LOL

drkwoods said:
How wild is this? The instructions are even wrong. An NO switch on 5/3 resets the timer and the spst switch on 2/5 paused it.

I hate products where the manual is translated from Chinese. Sorry

LOL

Better get used to it...or learn Chinese;)

I just got this timer yesterday. I was a little annoyed to find that it did not have a built in pause feature on the face. So here I am doing some quick research on how the GATE function works. I assumed putting 12V to pin 2 would operate it, but you're saying to ground it? Guess I'll pull out the multimeter to it first. With that being said, I found that mine was wired differently and it seems that pins 6+7 seem to be the NO contacts and that 7+8 are NC, which is backwards.

I'm no spring chicken when it comes to electronics, but dealing with "Engrish" instructions can be frustrating. It's kind of like someone sent you a puzzle box, and you have to figure out how it works (without damaging yourself or the box in the process).

Btw, I was planning on using (and ordered a) 2 position selector switch to turn power on/off to my alarm. But now I am thinking (so that I don't have to place ANOTHER switch on my panel) that I will replace that with a 3 position switch, so that I can have alarm on, alarm off, and timer pause functions all on the one.

And to quickly follow this up, I confirmed that there is 8V at pin 2, and grounding it (to pin 5) pauses the timer.

One final note. Upon review the destructions a little closer, I believe that "In" (input) selection option will change the whether pin2 (gate) needs to be powered or grounded. NPN and PNP probably refer to the type of transistor being used. The default setting is NPN, meaning pin2 needs to be grounded, or in Engrish: "No-voltage (read ground) input."

I would confirm this now, but I am currently using the timer for a mash ;-)

tjpfeister said:
One final note. Upon review the destructions a little closer, I believe that "In" (input) selection option will change the whether pin2 (gate) needs to be powered or grounded. NPN and PNP probably refer to the type of transistor being used. The default setting is NPN, meaning pin2 needs to be grounded, or in Engrish: "No-voltage (read ground) input."

I would confirm this now, but I am currently using the timer for a mash ;-)

Oh cool
I think you may be right.
Dang engrish!! LOL
Btw. I did the same thing with a DPDT switch : )

Hello guys
I am pondering to get this timer, so please help me out here.
I need this timer to switch a relay on for x seconds, and then turn the same relay off for y seconds - this cycle should be repeated forever.

Can the B2E do this?

Yes, this can be done with cycle mode found in the menu under "t.nod" (the n is an umlaut and supposedly means M, thus Timer Mode)

You have two options:

One shot, which looks like -----, and cycle mode, which looks like [==] (more or less)

Read the destructions for further details:
http://www.warf.com/download/6812_4000_B2E-en.pdf

Read "gate" as "pause" and read "no voltage" or "0v" as "ground"

Cheers!

Tired of this timer and Inkbird!!!! I'm building an exposure unit for screen printing and I wired my 16.4 LED roll, 12v 400w power supply, and this timer that I'm now about to use to prop up the washer machine! The instructions look like "R.Kelly" spelled the info and "Ray Charles" wrote them out blind folded on top of being blind already!!! If your not gonna produce the proper instructions for your units and the needs for the timer for buyers then don't sell them! An I never get a response back for help!

Back