How do you use your Co2 for cleaning when its attached to a manifold?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amcclai7

Reaction score
Ok so I'm going to build a collar. I've enlisted the help of a friend with all the proper tools. Here's my question now:

I only have one Co2 tank. Lately I've been serving one keg at a time. Each keg has its own tap and I move the gas disconnect around as need be. Whenever I need to use c02 to flush or clean kegs i simply take the tank to wherever I need it. Once the tank is attached to the manifold this is going to be much harder if not impossible to do. lugging kegs back and forth to my cleaning area doesn't sound like much fun either. Am I going to have to get another tank, regulator, etc? This is starting to get expensive!!

I've never used CO2 when I clean my kegs. I remove the posts, the tubes, scrub them clean, scrub the keg clean, then sanitize and reassemble. What are you using CO2 for in the cleaning process?

This is starting to get expensive!!

Welcome to homebrewing!

Why not pick up a second regulator and just disconnet the keg from the keezer regulator. That will run you ~$50. I recommend a backup tank/regulator. It comes in handly for force carbing, cleaning, bottling, and kegging. I use a 5lb tank in my keezer and a 10lb tank for all my other stuff. I've only had to fill it once in 2 years.

How about getting a CO2 Manifold? In the top pic below, 1 gas line goes in, and up to 3 come out. You can shut off whatever ones you will not be using at the time. Downside of this is that all lines connected to it will be the same PSI as what is coming out of the tank. If you need more control of PSI for individual kegs / beergun / purging, you should look into secondary regulators like in the 2nd pic.

3 way manifold.jpg

reg 02.jpg

Whenever I need to use c02 to flush or clean kegs i simply take the tank to wherever I need it.

Why not consider doing cleaning/sanitizing without using CO2? Saves money too not having to waste gas. When I clean my kegs (after the initial rinse out of course) I just fill them about a third full of water and some Oxyclean, close it up and shake it around vigorously, open it up and remove the dip tube, dip the dip tube cleaning brush into the keg to soap it, clean out the the dip tube with the brush, rinse the dip tube completely, put it back in, dump the Oxyclean, and rinse several times. I also remove the posts and soak them in a small bowl with Oxyclean afterward then rinse and reinstall.

For sanitizing I use 2.5 gallons of water and 1/2oz StarSan, seal the keg, gently roll it around on my leg so that the solution completely contacts all inside areas, remove the dip tube and pour sanitizer through it using a measuring cup, reinstall it, you get the point.

For cleaning my beer lines I bought one of those pumps. So I remove a faucet and put it in a jug with cleaner to soak, connect the pump, pump the cleaner through, dump, refill with warm water, rinse the lines, repeat once more.

Been working great so far on the 7 batches I've completely run through my kegerator. Just kegged #8 last night and #9 is getting kegged tonight.

Rev.

Why not consider doing cleaning/sanitizing without using CO2? Saves money too not having to waste gas. When I clean my kegs (after the initial rinse out of course) I just fill them about a third full of water and some Oxyclean, close it up and shake it around vigorously, open it up and remove the dip tube, dip the dip tube cleaning brush into the keg to soap it, clean out the the dip tube with the brush, rinse the dip tube completely, put it back in, dump the Oxyclean, and rinse several times. I also remove the posts and soak them in a small bowl with Oxyclean afterward then rinse and reinstall.

For sanitizing I use 2.5 gallons of water and 1/2oz StarSan, seal the keg, gently roll it around on my leg so that the solution completely contacts all inside areas, remove the dip tube and pour sanitizer through it using a measuring cup, reinstall it, you get the point.

For cleaning my beer lines I bought one of those pumps. So I remove a faucet and put it in a jug with cleaner to soak, connect the pump, pump the cleaner through, dump, refill with warm water, rinse the lines, repeat once more.

Been working great so far on the 7 batches I've completely run through my kegerator. Just kegged #8 last night and #9 is getting kegged tonight.

Rev.

To me taking apart the keg and scrubbing every part after every batch is needlessly complex. I do what you do with the pbw, water rinse, star san trio but i feel hitting the keg with a bit of Co2 and running all three substances thru the dip tube cleans the keg very well. Plus there is the added benefit of frequent line cleaning. I got on this topic on a different thread that's going on right now and somebody said the following:

Get some in line quick disconnects for the gas line between the tank and manifold. Just be sure to tighten the clamps well and check for leaks (I like to submerge as much as I can in water). I've used the ones below, I've seen brass ones at micromatic as well.

http://www.morebeer.com/products/beer-gas-tubing-quick-disconnect-14-barb-female-shutoff.html

http://www.morebeer.com/products/beer-gas-tubing-quick-disconnect-14-barb-male.html

This seems like the best way to go. I really need to be able detach my tank with relative ease. I quite often take kegs to local events and need to have a portable tank. Any problems with this idea?

Why not use an MFL fitting between the regulator(s) and your gas line going to your keezer? Keep a wrench with your tank to simply connect/disconnect. You can even put a gas shutoff on the outside to keep your kegs pressurized without having to shut each one off, although the check valves on the manifold (if you use one) should suffice, at least in theory.

I'm for quick disconnects, but using those polysulphone ones for gas, I'm not sure I would trust them enough.

To me taking apart the keg and scrubbing every part after every batch is needlessly complex. I do what you do with the pbw, water rinse, star san trio

Taking apart and scrubbing? I didn't say that at all. I said I fill the keg with some water and oxyclean, close the lid and shake it up. I don't scrub the inside at all and taking out the dip tube is literally a half turn of a wrench and a simple push through of the dip tube brush twice or so. No scrubbing. The posts just get sat in some of the Oxyclean solution then rinsed. I usually remove my disconnect from the beer line and leave it connected to the post so that it all stays open and the cleaner can get into it, but really it's a very simple process and no CO2 is wasted.

If you're cool with the way you're doing it awesome :mug: Many people do it your way and it is indeed a little quicker, but I prefer to not waste so much CO2. After you push the cleaner through don't you have to push through rinse water as well? But anyhow, just saying my method is far from "complex" and is also not physically taxing in the slightest.

Rev.

Taking apart and scrubbing? I didn't say that at all. I said I fill the keg with some water and oxyclean, close the lid and shake it up. I don't scrub the inside at all and taking out the dip tube is literally a half turn of a wrench and a simple push through of the dip tube brush twice or so. No scrubbing. The posts just get sat in some of the Oxyclean solution then rinsed. I usually remove my disconnect from the beer line and leave it connected to the post so that it all stays open and the cleaner can get into it, but really it's a very simple process and no CO2 is wasted.

If you're cool with the way you're doing it awesome :mug: Many people do it your way and it is indeed a little quicker, but I prefer to not waste so much CO2. After you push the cleaner through don't you have to push through rinse water as well? But anyhow, just saying my method is far from "complex" and is also not physically taxing in the slightest.

Rev.

agreed. I think I get frightened anytime I have to grab a wrench and think that I'm in for more work than I am. As far as the Co2 waste goes, I really don't think its bad. 2 - 3 PSI is all you need to push some water thru the dip tubes and lines. I have a tendency to get a little lazy with cleaning sometimes (not about sanitation i'm anal as hell about it during a brew day just day to day cleaning) and I like that the Co2 way forces me to clean my lines regularly.

Why not use an MFL fitting between the regulator(s) and your gas line going to your keezer? Keep a wrench with your tank to simply connect/disconnect. You can even put a gas shutoff on the outside to keep your kegs pressurized without having to shut each one off, although the check valves on the manifold (if you use one) should suffice, at least in theory.

I'm for quick disconnects, but using those polysulphone ones for gas, I'm not sure I would trust them enough.

This is a good Idea that I might look into. More work and more tools each time (although not much) but the QD way gives one more place for possible leaks...arg!

I have this and keep a couple full paintball tanks when I take the portable kegerator somewhere. I also use it to seal up kegs before natural priming/carbing at room temp so I dont have to lug the keg to the kegerator. Its useful when I cccasionally want to purge kegs with CO2 also.

For a while I was using it as my main kegerator reg since filling the CO2 at Dicks Sporting Goods was cheaper than getting 5 lb tanks filled at gas supply places. Paintball tanks usually lasted anywhere from 2 to 5 kegs depending on pressure and how much 'auxillary' use it got.

I know, more money but indispensible in my eyes if your going to be taking kegs to parties and such.

http://www.kegconnection.com/pin-valve-regulator-single-guage-5-16-check-valve/

There is a post where the guy has a brass disconnect and valve on the outside of his fridge, so he can easily disconnect the tank (with regs) and use it for utility, like pressurizing kegs during and after cleaning. Heck, he could even dispense a pint from a half empty keg without even noticing it.

I also use gas for pushing PBW and Starsan through the tubes while cleaning and sanitizing. I even turn the keg upside down over a bucket and press the gas poppet, using a long nail set, although an old disconnect could do it easier, but what is the art in that? In that position, I pull the PRV valve ring with that tool too. You have to keep it way down or you're spraying that stuff everywhere and just watch out not getting that very hot PBW on your hands, or worse.

Now how far away from your keg cleaning area is your keezer? Would a long hose work?

2 - 3 PSI is all you need to push some water thru the dip tubes and lines.

That's true, I did forget about the option to simply lower the pressure a lot. Oh hey btw, you still might want to occasionally clean your dip tubes with a dip tube brush. I bought one after reading a thread somewhere on here where someone who just cleaned via the push method was surprised how much gunk was in his dip tube when he finally removed it and looked.

I think for the most part pushing alone works perfectly fine to clean. But it's always a good idea to brush out the dip tube after a number of batches as some particles can indeed begin to collect.

Rev.

I have this and keep a couple full paintball tanks when I take the portable kegerator somewhere. I also use it to seal up kegs before natural priming/carbing at room temp so I dont have to lug the keg to the kegerator. Its useful when I cccasionally want to purge kegs with CO2 also.

For a while I was using it as my main kegerator reg since filling the CO2 at Dicks Sporting Goods was cheaper than getting 5 lb tanks filled at gas supply places. Paintball tanks usually lasted anywhere from 2 to 5 kegs depending on pressure and how much 'auxillary' use it got.

I know, more money but indispensible in my eyes if your going to be taking kegs to parties and such.

I've been looking for ways to easily take kegs (and mostly gas) to a party or events, but lugging a 20# CO2 tank with regs around (even half empty) is not appealing unless it's a really big party. And it's still a nuisance.

I like your paintball tank idea. I think you can even fill them yourself from an inverted CO2 tank (yeah, yeah) or one with a diptube. Last time I checked they charge by the ounce ($0.39) for filling paintball tanks.

I did pick up a 2nd 20# CO2 tank recently, plus regs. That's gonna feed my kegerator, and later the keezer.

[...] Oh hey btw, you still might want to occasionally clean your dip tubes with a dip tube brush. I bought one after reading a thread somewhere on here where someone who just cleaned via the push method was surprised how much gunk was in his dip tube when he finally removed it and looked.

I think for the most part pushing alone works perfectly fine to clean. But it's always a good idea to brush out the dip tube after a number of batches as some particles can indeed begin to collect.

Rev.

Totally agree with brushing dip tubes, poppets, posts and that, but it depends on what was in there before. I can now clean (with complete disassembly) and sanitize 3 kegs within 45 minutes, ready to be filled. That's if I've used them before. CL acquisitions get the full inside/outside wash treatment. Haven't seen many show up lately.

To me taking apart the keg and scrubbing every part after every batch is needlessly complex. I do what you do with the pbw, water rinse, star san trio but i feel hitting the keg with a bit of Co2 and running all three substances thru the dip tube cleans the keg very well. Plus there is the added benefit of frequent line cleaning. I got on this topic on a different thread that's going on right now and somebody said the following:

Get some in line quick disconnects for the gas line between the tank and manifold. Just be sure to tighten the clamps well and check for leaks (I like to submerge as much as I can in water). I've used the ones below, I've seen brass ones at micromatic as well.

http://www.morebeer.com/products/beer-gas-tubing-quick-disconnect-14-barb-female-shutoff.html

http://www.morebeer.com/products/beer-gas-tubing-quick-disconnect-14-barb-male.html

This seems like the best way to go. I really need to be able detach my tank with relative ease. I quite often take kegs to local events and need to have a portable tank. Any problems with this idea?

I like the concept, but I'd worry about leaks. Also, you'll probably need to buy multiple sets of these to cover all your needs. At that point you might be getting closer to the cost of a Craigs List CO2 tank and regulator.

I agree and I will take them apart every 3rd batch or so. I just don't wanna have to do that every single time.

I'm gonna look into this. Might be just what the doctor ordered. Regardless, I've got several options now and all of them are better than what I had in mind. In a few days I might do a pros and cons post to compile all the information. Until then keep the ideas coming and if anyone has reasons for or against the ideas previously mentioned post those too.

Back