How do you take hydrometer readings while it's in the carboy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EyePeeAye

Reaction score
Hello All, Noob question...

I have a turkey baster/wine thief that I can use to take out some beer for a reading, but I feel like i'm wasting too much when I do that. Are folks just dropping their hydrometer in the carboy? Thanks!

This is what I use, and it works with both buckets and carboys.

I replaced the plastic one a year ago with an extra long stainless baster from a kitchen ware store and it is awesome. But the plastic one from any grocery store works fine.

turkeybastera.jpg

And

75862_451283689066_620469066_5427695_1841038_n.jpg

Here's what I do....

1) With a spray bottle filled with starsan I spray the lid of my bucket, or the mouth of the carboy, including the bung. Then I spray my turkey baster inside and out with sanitize (or dunking it in a container of sanitizer).

2) Open fermenter.

3) Draw Sample

4) fill sample jar (usualy 2-3 turky baster draws

5)Spray bung or lid with sanitizer again

6) Close lid or bung

6) add hydrometer and take reading

It is less than 30 seconds from the time the lid is removed until it is closed again. More like 15 if you ask me.

I fill the plastic tube that the hygrometer is stored in. Perfect size for a reading, not much is lost and fine to take a sip for scientific purposes.

I love my Thief. I sanitize it, stick it in the fermenter to draw a sample, drop the hydrometer in, take the reading, and then dump into a tasting glass. Easiest way to take gravity readings, and to draw a taste test.

Last edited by a moderator:
I love my Thief. I sanitize it, stick it in the fermenter to draw a sample, drop the hydrometer in, take the reading, and then dump into a tasting glass. Easiest way to take gravity readings, and to draw a taste test.

+1 on the Thief. It is also perfect for an impatient tasting here and there! :tank:

Last edited by a moderator:
you could just drop your hydrometer into your carboy if you dont want to get it out again until the beer is finished.

then again, i just had a sort of brilliant idea. you could tie a string to the top of your hydrometer. sanitize it, pop it in, and then BAM reading taken.

You won't get an accurate reading with a string tied to the hydrometer. The weight of the string will be enough to push it lower, causing an incorrect reading. Or, if you keep tension on the string, it'll read wrong the other direction.

Also, krausen on the stem will cause an incorrect reading, if you can actually read it.

You won't get an accurate reading with a string tied to the hydrometer. The weight of the string will be enough to push it lower, causing an incorrect reading. Or, if you keep tension on the string, it'll read wrong the other direction.

Also, krausen on the stem will cause an incorrect reading, if you can actually read it.

I'll teach you to ruin my ideas with infallible logic!!!:mad::mad::mad:

nope you got it righteither a thief or baster just make sure you sanitize it first, as far as waste if you take 3 readings it comes out to be like 1/2 a beer so you really aren't wasting it. Also it's nessasry to see if fermentation is complete.

I just open the fermenter and let my dog dip his head in there and drink a little. Their mouth is one of the cleanest things on this planet, right? Then I tickle him until he pukes into a small glass and then I use the hydrometer.

Not really, I do what Revvy described above and that works every time.:D

beerloaf

I just leave the first sample in the hydrometer next to the fermenter. Not 100% accurate, but close. When it has stopped fermenting, I'll draw a second sample from the tap. I don't use glass fermenters, too heavy.

1. Use a beer/wine theif sanitize. their package says to and this is the short version. "sanitize drop the hydrometer in it take a reading dump beer back in pushing the little toggle on the bottom". I still have mine in the package and have not used it at all. I'm just a bit patient though and leave it till I'm ready to rack.

2. or just learn patience, seems no one now adays has it.

3. advice
if your really worried about wasting that much beer, then either your taking samples way to much and just asking to get a bug. or your so hard up for beer that wasting any tiny bit is effecting you which is probably a bad thing and you need to seek help.

If you leave your beer for two weeks, there is a very good chance your two samples will be the same SG... which means you'll only waste two sample jars, which isn't a lot.

Plus! you get to drink the sample jar, and while it's not as good as the final product, hey, it's beer.

Back