how do you store your yeast starter in the fridge?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hagelslag

Reaction score
I have only done one yeast starter so far and I just pitched the whole thing.

I plan on decanting the next one. I searched around and didn't see any suggestions for storing the starter in the fridge. I read on here fridges can harbor a lot of bacteria. Do I need to worry about contamination or does the co2 prevent it?

I currently cover it with a piece of sanitized tin foil during fermentation. Do I have to change that to a airlock or stopper when I put it in the fridge?

thanks.

I usually just keep the foil on top when I put it in the fridge, take it out on brew day, chuck off spent wort, and let it warm up to room temp before pitching.

And if possible keep it in the fridge at least a day or two so most of the yeast settles out. You don't don't want to chuck precious yeast that you spent all that time making. Not sure how big your starter is but if its 2 liters or smaller I would just pitch the whole thing.

I use a foam stopper on my flask while it's on the stir plate, so when I put it in the fridge, I leave the stopper in it and cover the top of the flask and stopper with aluminum foil. That way any bugs that get under the foil will be filtered out by the foam stopper. And if there is suck back due to chilling the liquid and air inside the flask, the suck back air will be filtered.

Thanks.

It's a big beer SG 1.070 double ipa. Mmmmmmm. I plan on doing a 2L starter. Starting tonight, let it ferment 24 hours, then put it in fridge for 24. Should I make it tomorrow? Brewing on sunday.

I want nothing but hops and don't want to risk off flavors if I pitch the whole thing. What you think?

I'm using extra light dme.

Thanks.

It's a big beer SG 1.070 double ipa. Mmmmmmm. I plan on doing a 2L starter. Starting tonight, let it ferment 24 hours, then put it in fridge for 24. Should I make it tomorrow? Brewing on sunday.

I want nothing but hops and don't want to risk off flavors if I pitch the whole thing. What you think?

I'm using extra light dme.

To be honest, I think you should have started it already if you want to brew on Sunday. I don't think it will be done fermenting in 24 hours, and if fermentation isn't complete, I find that its difficult to get the yeast to settle enough in order to pour off the starter.

I'd start it ASAP.

Wow, I was just online for this exact question... So, 48 hours before pitching is too soon to stir plate, chill, and decant? I've always done it so far ahead of time that I've not had to wonder...

This is what I'm doing, like the OP:

Friday: Yeast starter on stir plate (1.5 liter)
Saturday night: fridge to settle
Sunday: Decant in morning, add new wort 3 hours before pitching...

Whadya think, too soon? Should I just pitch whole starter? I'm making Denny's RIPA

Just boiled my first starter in the flask. I didn't see these gray particles last time. Is that normal?

image-1390185201.jpg

yep, there's always a little break material on the sides of the flask from the boil

And if possible keep it in the fridge at least a day or two so most of the yeast settles out. You don't don't want to chuck precious yeast that you spent all that time making. Not sure how big your starter is but if its 2 liters or smaller I would just pitch the whole thing.

To me, 2 liters is a huge pitch for a 5 gallon batch: that's over 10% of your final volume. I always decant anything over 1 liter.

Back