How do you store your extra CO2 cylinders?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Knightshade

<Insert Snarky Comment Here>
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've got a 10 lb tank secured to the back of my kegerator. It is still on its first fill, so I have no idea how much longer it is going to last. Needle on secondary valve hasn't budged since I hooked it up but...that doesn't inspire any level of confidence about time table.

I have an empty 5 lb tank (no regulator attached as I only have 1) sitting on my garage counter. I haven't filled it because I for some reason have a fear of it exploding if it is full and the garage gets too warm, and/or it somehow gets knocked over. Never mind that it has been sitting in the same spot for probably 3 months now with no issues and has collected an admirable layer of dust.

So I guess the question is if I get it filled...
Is it okay for it to just sit there without a regulator attached even with varying ambient temperatures?
Should I somehow secure it to the wall, regardless of regulator need?

Yes. When you get it swapped, the top should be shrink-wrapped with plastic.
co2.jpg

I've got a 10 lb tank secured to the back of my kegerator. It is still on its first fill, so I have no idea how much longer it is going to last. Needle on secondary valve hasn't budged since I hooked it up but...that doesn't inspire any level of confidence about time table.

I have an empty 5 lb tank (no regulator attached as I only have 1) sitting on my garage counter. I haven't filled it because I for some reason have a fear of it exploding if it is full and the garage gets too warm, and/or it somehow gets knocked over. Never mind that it has been sitting in the same spot for probably 3 months now with no issues and has collected an admirable layer of dust.

So I guess the question is if I get it filled...
Is it okay for it to just sit there without a regulator attached even with varying ambient temperatures?
Should I somehow secure it to the wall, regardless of regulator need?

The gauge won't change until it is almost empty. You can monitor your fill by weight.

If it's full and gets knocked over the valve stem could catastrophically fail if it gets whacked just right. I'm not sure how dangerous a 5 lb would be, but the large commercial ones can shoot through walls and kill you. This is why commercial ones need to be secured.

I keep mine in milk crate type containers. Knocking one over can definitely damage a regulator.

20200925_124444.jpg

In regards to storage, just put it out of way some where do it does not get knocked over. Don't worry about temp or pressure unless leaving in a hot car, shipping container, etc.

Secure the tank if you want, but mainly just to protect valve in case of knock over. If we were talking oxy/acetylene tanks, then yes, secure firmly to stationary object or stable cart w chain, but O2 tanks, I would worry about it too much.

I broke the valve off a large welding tank in my garage may years ago, that got the adrenaline flowing.

i only have one tank, i keep it on a digital postal scale next to the fridge i keep my kegs in.....as @marc1 said the High pressure gauge will remain constant at constant temp, as long as there's liquid co2 still in the tank.....there's usually a TW xx.x stamp on the tanks, which will tell you what they weigh empty....

and 5 gallons weighs 1.23oz's of co2..... at higher pressure, water will abosorb it....at least i think that's how it works.....

edit: kinda over my head, i just know for there to be liquid, it's got to be an exact pressure.....

After 16+ years of paintball (co2 and compressed air), aviation 02 and kegging, co2 is one of the safest gasses out there. As far as temp, all tanks have a burst disc that will vent if the pressure gets too high. Not explosive, but enough to startle anyone nearby.
Definitely store tanks where they can't fall onto their valves though.
Again, this is from years of dealing with C02 (850ish psi) pure aviation oxygen at 3000psi and compressed air up to 6000psi.

If it makes you feel better, C02 tanks are hydrostatically tested at ~3000psi, far higher than the ~850 psi that they see on a regular basis.

One thing to keep in mind, the most dangerous tank is an empty tank imo... Without positive pressure from a "dry gas", moisture can infiltrate and cause concealed corrosion... Just one reason to get that empty tank filled sooner rather than later.

I have a 20# tank I use as my main tank, a 5# tank I use when the 20#er runs dry before swapping, and a 20 cu ft beer gas tank (same size as 5# CO2). All of them are in a cabinet in my bar. In my last place, I had my 5#er in my garage. It may have gotten into the low 90s at times, but I never worried about the tank. Mine too had a protective layer of dust.

I strap my spare 5lb CO2 tank to a leg of my brewing table with a bungee cord. Attaching a regulator won't protect your tank, but could make it more vulnerable if it gets knocked over. These tanks should survive varying garage temps just fine.

Back