How do you like your simcoe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kanzimonson

Reaction score
I've become too addicted to Centennial and Amarillo and I need to introduce a new hop. I think Simcoe will be the next best complement and help me diversify into the piney flavors while continuing to emphasize the citrus.

Can y'all give me some insight in how Simcoe performs as a flavor, aroma, and dry hop?

For example, I like Centennial as flavor hops because it adds a coolness and fruitiness to the hoppy mouthfeel, while I think Amarillo is better for aroma because it's so piquant. Usually for dry hops I'll mix the two, but if I'm forced to pick one I prefer Amarillo.

I've done some of the diarrhea-hopping in the past (mix all hops together at the beginning of the brew and add everything equally) but I ultimately prefer to specialize my hop additions.

I use Simcoe in my IPA as a bittering and flavor hop. I then add Amarillo to Dry Hop. It is an amazing combination. I am a big fan of both of these.

Yoopers Dogfish Head 60 IPA clone is my favorite recipe for using Simco and Amarillo together. Even though you do mix the hops together while adding them, you still get a great amarillo aroma/ taste, with a nice simco finish. Its definitely my favorite IPA so far.

just my 2*¢, a local brewpub uses simcoe in their pale ale and it was tasty. It was tasty enough for me to inquire about the hops they used at least. I too have become too addicted to Centennial.

So to be honest, none of your posts really describe what simcoe contributes to a beer (really, no offense intended and I appreciate that you took the time to respond). I know anecdotally that "simcoe is like the other american hops, with some extra piney flavors" but I'm trying to hear what types of flavors it contributes based on how you use it.

How much of that pine/resin flavor can I expect from a flavor addition? Aroma addition? When it gets boiled, do you think it retains the same citrus smells it has or do they change a lot?

I suspect I'm just going to have to brew my house pale with only simcoe and see what happens...

go big or go home. IPA with simcoe then you'll konw. Don't water down a good thing. Simcoe is my favorite hop. Along with citrus and all that pineapple-ish almost comes to mind... If you havn't brewed with it yet yer missing out. Happy brewing!:rockin:

brewing single hop beers will really show all the nice complexities most hops have.

i did an all centennial IPA and it was pretty awesome. florally, resiny, spicy and kinda a mango/grapeftruit citrus thing goin on too.
but it was actually more resiny and spicy than citrusy.

just do an all simcoe brew.

it's hard when you have quite a few different hops on hand though.
i just did an IIPA bittered with simcoe and amarillo then finished with big amounts of glacier and just a bit of simcoe and amarillo.

I good testing grounds for new hops is american wheat.

You can use an ounce or less of the hop and still get a great idea about the flavor and aroma, if you like that then step it on up to an APA or IPA.

I have a hard time making a single hop IPA...usually use at least 3 hop varieties.

Personally , I don't like Simcoe... I think it smells and tastes like marigolds... not a pleasant smell and flavor to me... some have described it as cat urine like... I wouldn't go that far but it is kind of dank, pungent and acrid to me. Maybe I am just sensitive to that flavor profile. I know MANY people LOVE it. but not me. To each their own.

Simcoe and Amarillo are one of the best hop combos you can use in an IPA. Just taste sculpin, 90 min, among others. You would be amazed how many beers use this combo. I've found simcoe works great with all of the pungent, super fruity/citrusy hops (amarilllo, citra, Nelson sauvin)

I've found it brings some pine, some citrus, but also some tropical fruit notes people describe as pineapple or mango.

I prefer to use it as a complimentary hop, as opposed to the main hop or even equal amounts. It adds complexity and punches up flavors, but if too heavy handed you can get that cat pee note. With Amarillo, I like to use it in a 60ish-40ish ratio of Amarillo to simcoe. For example. I would finish my beer with 2.5oz of amarillo and 1.5oz of simcoe, or at least play in that 60-70%-30-40% range.

Back