How do you get an accurate SG reading active fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hedo-Rick

Reaction score
Just started 6 gallons that I tweaked the pH down to 3.5 and inoculated with Nottingham Ale yeast.

I'm fermenting in a chest freezer so I can rack and cold crash once I hit the flavor/SG I'm looking for.

I'd like to pull a sample every 4-5 days to taste and get an idea of how quick it's fermenting, but how do you get an accurate reading with a hydrometer when the sample will still be actively fermenting in the test jar?

If you are using a hydrometer, just drop it in your test vessel. That is as accurate as you get. When using a refractometer there is some math involved because it wont accurately calculate when alcohol is present, its measuring fermented sugar.

Um, wait til it ain't so active?....................

If you're having trouble reading it, because of the krausen hanging around at the meniscus, use a sanitized turkey baster, and draw your sample from below the surface.

That's what I use.

Spin the hydrometer before you get your reading. Watch this video:

Last edited by a moderator:
Spinning the hydrometer works pretty well, but in my experience pour your sample, add your hydrometer, and walk away for a couple of hours. By that time most of the bubbles have left.

Back