How do you calculate your recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What do you use to calculate your recipes

• Pencil and paper

• Recipator

• ProMash

• BeerSmith

• other commercial tool

• home grown tool/speradsheet

Results are only viewable after voting.
Way to kill a great thread "pirates" of some sort.

It makes me crazy that this thread doesn't have 100's of votes.

Are there really only...
Voters: 203. You have already voted on this poll
...203 people who actually participate in this forum?

Yeah, trying to pirate $21 software is rediculous. You cheap bastards; maybe brewing is too expensive as well and you should leave it to us. BeerSmith is great software and was well worth my money to get it and I recommend you people get it too (legally).

Yeah, trying to pirate $21 software is rediculous. You cheap bastards; maybe brewing is too expensive as well and you should leave it to us. BeerSmith is great software and was well worth my money to get it and I recommend you people get it too (legally).

Yep. Exact point I made, too. Disappointing to see this kind of stuff here. BeerSmith is well worth the price of admission, IMHO.

I use brewtility.com. It's got a few glitches and the author doesn't update very often. But even it's current state, the tool is very useful. It is free, it has enough features to get most beers done and the interface is quite nice. Worth a look at for sure. Also, when I'm on the go, I use Hopularity on the iPhone to do hop schedules on the fly when the hops I had planned to use are not available or are of significantly different AA% content than I had anticipated. The combination of both takes care of everything.

After working at the LHBS the last few months, I've found using ProMash to be problematic. I need to make and fix recipes on the fly without software, so I've been reading through How To Brew and getting used to calculating on the fly.

In doing this, I realized why a few of my recipes were off. Part of it was water (I wasn't using the filter for a while) but there were also quite a few beers I made that were too sweet because I didn't compensate the hops for a partial boil. Lesson learned.

I'll probably post a thread for easy to use formulas when I get everything worked out for the whole brewing process. It's been great, tho. With my refractometer and the basic math laid out, I can deal with changes in efficiency or volume in a matter of seconds.

Latest posts

Back