How do YOU bottle just a couple when you keg the rest?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

moti_mo

Reaction score
I've been kegging my beers for about a year now, but in that time, I haven't taken the time to bottle just a couple from each batch at kegging time. I'd like to do this (a) as a point of comparison b/w the bottled and kegged brew (b) to see how the beer holds up for a long maturation (i.e. year+, since the kegs don't usually last past a month or two), and (c) to enter a particularly good one here and there into a competition.

What are your methods for bottling those couple off of a batch to save? Anybody force-carbonate bottles with a keg line? I've heard of some doing that, but I've never done that, and I don't know where to start equipment-wise. Also, I've got a scale, so I could be fairly accurate with metering out small amounts of corn sugar for say, 8 bottles (4 each from 2 batches). But is this just asking for scattershot carbonation levels and possibly bottle bombs?

Thanks for any advice.

OP
M

moti_mo

Reaction score
Thanks, that's just what I was looking for. I will probably give this a shot tomorrow if I can get to the LHBS to get a couple of things - tap, tubing, another racking cane.

AnOldUR

fer-men-TAY-shuhn
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Usually have a little more than will fit in the keg, so I bottle a six or so, using Coopers drops. But BMBF is the way to go otherwise.

madewithchicken

Reaction score
Coopers carb drops work well. But the Muntons carbtabs do not work very well.

The BMBF works well but my hands do not like being cold.

I measure out 1 gallon into a jug, add sugar and bottle.