how do u wire a 110v element to a regular wall outlet

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

agezzi

Reaction score
I live in and apartment and just started all grain. Its hell getting water to boil in a 40qt stock pot. how would i go about hooking up a heater element to it. does anyone know what steps i need to take on wiring and installing into pot. is there a way to do this with no welding and a regular wall outlet. i was thinking i could just buy a gfci extension cord for it....o and can u use just one and still put on stove

+1 to being careful.

Take look through some of the build threads, includeing "bling Bling electric Herms". This will give you a good foundation so we aren't starting from scratch.

Also, if your house is up to code, you will likely have a GFCI protected outlet within cord length of your stove.

It will be really easy to make a "helper heater", one that you do not have to tweak to get the boil just right.

here is a little outline for you:

1) Drill a hole in your kettle
2)pot the connections for the water heater element as in "bling bling electric herms"
3) use a bulkhead fitting from bargainfittings.com to mount the heater to teh kettle
4) run SOOO cord (soft extension cord wire - appropriate guage) to a switch mounted in a project box
5) run from a switch to an appropriately sized wall plug.

Here's what you need:

1500 or 2000 watt element
JB Weld
12/2 (with ground) SOOO Cord (15 feet approximately)
plastic project box
20 amp switch with cover
20 amp rated wall plug
drill with step drill bit
small stainless steel bolt (depending on how you mount the ground wire)

More later... tired now

thanks guys and yes very new...any more would be a great help.....i have notta clue as of now...lots to learn

if you can find a dimmer that can handle the amperage you are going to need for the heating element instead of a switch... you'll have a ghetto temp control for it. =)

also consider heatsticks. there are a few good threads about them if you search around.

Definitely go with a heatstick! Very easy to build, and very effective in my experience.

guys thanks i am and did go with a heat stick. found some great how to's online. went out and for about 60 bucks including gfci outlet adapter. it can go anywhere and there's no hole in my bk......tittys!

Dimmers for these kinds of amp loads don't exist.

I had an idea...

What about ripping some parts out of one of those single burner hot plates / electric burners to control the element? I think those things run on 120v and are probably close enough in wattage. I was thinking about trying this with a 1500W element in a kettle myself.

Back