How do people attached temp probe to corny keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

njohnsoncs

Reaction score
Before I got a keg, I would tape a temperature probe to the fermenter with blue painters tape. It stuck well but apparently in a pressurized keg it does not! What do people use to attached their temp probe to their (corny) keg?

Just use the air temp inside the keezer/kegerator rather than the temp of the keg.

I just do the same as any other fermentor. Stick the probe to the side (below liquid level). Haven't not worked just fine yet.

Unlike fermentation keg beer is just in storage. No need to adjust the temp to allow the beer to "finish up" I just set the keezer at the desired serving temp and let time do its thing. My temp probe is taped to a square of reflective folded a few times to make a packet. I use an oak dowel to push it down the corner of the keezer between the keg and the freezer wall.

Just use the air temp inside the keezer/kegerator rather than the temp of the keg.

This has problems since the air temp fluctuates wildly. And I don't care about controlling the temp of the air, I care about controlling the temp of the beer.

I just do the same as any other fermentor. Stick the probe to the side (below liquid level). Haven't not worked just fine yet.

You use tape and it sticks to your keg?

I just use some sort of insulation over the probe, and tape it to the keg, yes

This has problems since the air temp fluctuates wildly. And I don't care about controlling the temp of the air, I care about controlling the temp of the beer.

Get a fan of some sort (I use a small computer type fan) to run in your kegerator/keezer. Eliminates the air temperature differences within the kegerator/keezer.

I don't usually attach to my keg, but I use the HVAC foil tape for pretty much everything and it works great.

I have a to-go coffee mug in my keezer that has water in it, and I place the temperature probe in there. That should be a lot more stable than the air temperature and for the most part, I assume it's pretty much the same temperature as the beer.

I have a to-go coffee mug in my keezer that has water in it, and I place the temperature probe in there. That should be a lot more stable than the air temperature and for the most part, I assume it's pretty much the same temperature as the beer.
This. Especially if you have a fan circulating the air in the keezer.

Might be overthinking it a tad....How "wildly" could your temps change? You could open and close your kegerator 500 times in a row and the beer...liquid..will remain the same temp.

If your really worried get one of these to move the air....I used it in my Fermentation chamber 2 times when I thought it made a difference....it didnt.....It now sits in front of my wood burning stove where it does way more good.

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5338413729&icep_item=262430800387

Ironically, that's actually a benefit of using the beer temperature as the control...instead of the chamber air temperature.

Whether controlling fermenting wort or chilled beer, why wouldn't one use the actual wort or beer temperature instead of the air temperature...

Cheers!

I use blue painter's tape and a koozie on my kegs. The only issue I ever have is when the kegs cool the first time, they get sweaty. Once you dry them off, you shouldn't have any problems with moisture. If you do, maybe get a fan and/or some damp-rid.

Back