How do I use star san most effectivly for bottling?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

asterix404

Reaction score
I asked about star san a while back and was told to get a gallon of distilled water, put in a table spoon of star san and pour it into a spray bottle to sanitized things like my kegs and buckets. How do I most effectively use star san to sanitize bottles? I was gong to put 5g of water in a bucket and 2 tsb and let them soak for a bit but I am wondering if other people do something different?

I suppose that I don't bottle much anyway so I don't mind using 2 tsb for bottling, just curious.

I usually just fill the spray bottle and spray 5 squirts in and swirl it all around int here and dump it out.

If you want to save as much as possible, dump it out into a container and pour it back in.

You could also fill up a container big enough to dunk bottle in and do the same thing.

I go through about a spray bottle's worth for a batch of bottles. Some people buy a "vinator" spray thingy that squirts it up into the bottle and the excess runs back down into the vinator, so they only lose what sticks to the inside of the bottle.

FWIW - Starsan comes with a neat little doasge meter right at the top. I use 1/4 ounce for 3 quarts of water, which is a bit stronger than what they call for. Gives me a few spray bottles worth.

I've used Star San for bottling a few times after moving away from using the dishwasher for sanitizing. I use 6 mL per gallon and make 2 gallons with dechlorinated unsoftened tap water. I dunk each bottle to get a little sanitizer inside, shake to ensure all surfaces are wet, drain and set on a bottle tree.

I do this right after transferring the beer to a bottling bucket. It's easiest to sanitize all the bottles at once and they don't dry on the inside before using them.

Probably the easiest for bottles is to get something like the Vinator found here Austin Homebrew Supply

Just put the star san mix into that and it sprays up into the bottles. As mentioned, you lose far less solution with this and it's reusable. I have one and works great. You can also do the soak in a bucket method too, however the vinator may be faster.

I've got a Vinator (or Sulfiter) on my Xmas list, hope to get one. It's basically a pump spray head with a reservoir of Star San. You invert the bottle and push down to spray the inside of the bottle. I've used them before and they are very quick and easy.

What I'm doing now is mixing up some Star San in a 1 gallon milk jug. I just pour in 0.5 - 1 oz of mix, swirl it around making sure to wet all inner surfaces, then pour out. This takes me 15-20 minutes, where as the pump head above would take 5.

I've also used the dish washer on rinse cycle (no detergent) with the heated dry turned on. This essentially sanitizes with steam. But you have to plan ahead a little for this.

Probably the easiest for bottles is to get something like the Vinator found here Austin Homebrew Supply

Just put the star san mix into that and it sprays up into the bottles. I have one and works great. You can also do the soak in a bucket method too, however the vinator may be faster.

+1

The best part of my bottling process.

There are a lot of different ways to do it, you just have to find a system that works for you.

Assuming they are already CLEAN, you don't have to soak them unless you're trying to remove the labels. You can just spray the inside a few times making sure to hit the entire inner surface, pour the excess back into the gallon jug, and set the bottle on your bottling tree or dishwasher rack to dry.

Personally, I put a gallon of the solution in my bottling bucket, fill each bottle about 1/4 of the way up - spinning the bottle while holding it at an angle to be sure everything comes in contact with the solution, pour it back into the bottling bucket, and set each bottle in my dishwasher upside down to dry.

When I'm done I just swirl the solution in my bottling bucket to sanitize, then funnel it back into the jug.

Edit: That took a while to type as I was distracted by 'Work', and everyone beat me to the punch.

I fill my bottling bucket with the 5 gallons of star san i reuse for months at a time. Fill every bottle i have to the brim with star san and then put it back in the bottling bucket. Works well enough for me. Since I resue my star san its not too crazy uneconomical to fill them completely. Though I do end up bottling twice which is a pain in the ass.

I just use about a 2.5 gallon solution and completely submerge my bottles for a minute or so...drain...fill with beer.

I def. overdo the cleansing/sanitizing of bottles, since that is the final vessel it sits in for the longest amount of time.

Thus, I let my bottles sit in an Oxyclean FREE solution for 1 week, then I rinse and let dry for a couple of days. The whole process removes labels/cleans and gives me something to do with brewing. LOL..

Then the day of brewing I fill my bottles half full of star san/water solution in a bucket, put my thumb over the hole and shake violently for 10 sec or so. Then I drain and let dry on my bottle tree. 200 bottles (so far--I LOVE BOTTLING)... no infection or skunky beer.

Good luck.

I combine bottling and brewing in the same weekend. Mix up 2.5 gallons of starsan in a spare fermenter and fill a spray bottle, just to have around. I run the bottles through the sanitize cycle in the dishwasher with no soap and no jet dry the night before. I use starsan in a vintator on bottling day. Then I use the starsan the next day to sanitize the brew tools post boil, and fill a 2l bottle half way with star san to act as my blowoff airlock.

How long does star san stay good for in a spray bottle or some kind of container to hold it already mixed with water?

1st of all,the recommended dose of starsan is one ounce per 5 gallons of water. Broken down,that's less than 1/4oz per one gallon of water. Use the measuring reservoir on the top right of the starsan bottle,& measure 3/4's of the way up to the 1/4oz mark. Then pour into a 1 gallon jug of water and tip,swirl,etc to mix it.
They say it's good as long as the PH stays at 3 or lower (towards the acid side). So some PH test strips are good here. I stopped using plastic milk jugs for it,since the center of the seams on the bottom always wanted to start leaking. So I switched to Sunny D gallon jugs,which are sturdier. And always label your jugs!
I also use a cheapy store funnel & coffee filters to filter it. It gets out grainy residue,besides also getting out some of that milky discoloration. That stuff cloggs the filter eventually,looking like milky clear thin syrup to me. This seems to help the solution last longer,ime. I also made things simpler & faster with the vinator & bottle tree,both by Ferrari. Commonly available wherever yo buy HB supplies. You'll use less solution,& it's just way less hassle on bottling day.

I've heard rumors that if there is a "bubble" in the bottle after rinsing with StarSan to not worry about it.. it won't hurt anything or cause off-flavors. Is this true? I keep thinking I'm leaving soap or something in the bottle.

I fill my bottling bucket with the 5 gallons of star san i reuse for months at a time. Fill every bottle i have to the brim with star san and then put it back in the bottling bucket.

I left a bucket of Star san in the basement and forgot to empty it. It had been there for about 3 months. Tested the PH and it was still within range. I think I've thrown out a lot of perfectly good Star San:(

Another vinator/bottle tree combo user. After doing a few batches and trying to turn the bottles upside down in a dish drainer after soaking/rinsing the bottles in the star san mix I had in the sink it was well worth the investment... the only regret I have is not buying a bigger bottle tree.

Back