how do I ship a filled Corny keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

terrazza

Reaction score
Traveling down to New Mexico from Portland for thanksgiving and wanted to stash a filled corny keg in my (wife's) suitcase right before the flight. Yeah or neah. Can you travel with a corny assuming it's not carry on?
Any other suggestions on getting it down there?

Traveling down to New Mexico from Portland for thanksgiving and wanted to stash a filled corny keg in my (wife's) suitcase right before the flight. Yeah or neah. Can you travel with a corny assuming it's not carry on?
Any other suggestions on getting it down there?

Why don't you put it in your suitcase and see how far you get????

TD

Well, if it's in your suitcase, that should be fine. The problem might be oversize/overweight luggage then, but I don't see any other problem. I've brought all kinds of liquor home from trips- but not a full keg of course! I've never had an issue with beer, wine, or hard liquor on domestic trips with it in my luggage.

I just came home from the Caribbean with 12 bottles of rum in my checked luggage, granted it was distributed b/w 4 pieces of luggage.

Jason

Something tells me they would pull a large cylindrical metal container that could be under pressure off a plane.

... put it this way... if they don't... I'm going o cut down on my flights.

Something tells me they would pull a large cylindrical metal container that could be under pressure off a plane.

... put it this way... if they don't... I'm going o cut down on my flights.
+1. That thing would arouse all kinds of suspicion, thankfully. Plus, the way they handle bagge I'd be afraid of having beer soaked clothes when I arrived.

Airport security is not that good. But suspicions would probably be raised by transporting a large cylindrical container...

Why don't you just put some of your beer in bottles, perhaps 22oz or 750mL bottles. As others have said, it's hardly a problem to travel with bottles in ones suitcase, I have done it many times (beer, wine, whiskey). The only problem I have encountered is going over the weight limit (which have become much tighter in the past few months along with other bag limitations).

just ship it in a big box UPS.
its going to cost a lot but it will get there.
i dont care what the rules are, are you a *****
do it if you want your home brew, if not theres always naty lite ice.

yeah, they will open that thing up. its a stainless cylinder filled with an unknown liquid, for all security knows, it could be gasoline or some other potentially flamable/explosive/hazardous liquid. plus, due to the pressure and temperature changes, if that thing were to leak there would be some pissed off people.

ship it ground.

either do it right, or chance going to jail for shipping a full metal container full of unknown liquid. (liek others have said.)

B

I would probably use the BMBF to counter-pressure fill ten 2 liter bottles and pack those instead. You get the saftey of plastic. Customs can see that it is beer inside (Or leave the mountain dew labels on the bottles if a pale ale etc.) and it is less likely to break than glass would be.

Back