How do I preserve Hops for long term storage?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KonureKing

Reaction score
There's someone in my town offering up hops from their vines for free on craigslist and it looks to be a substantial quantity. I've only ever used hop pellets from the store to make beer before. How would I go about processing these for long term storage? They are Cascade hops if it makes a difference at all. Thanks for your advice!

Traditionally they are picked, dried down to about 8-10% moisture and then baled and kept close to freezing. I've been packing them into pint mason jars using an old flashlight as a ram for probably 20+ years and can generally get about 100-120g (about 4 ounces) and then into the freezer. If you do it right you should be able to keep them for at least 2 years without any quality loss - just make sure the lids are on tight.

I get a few pounds a year once they are dried.. Cascade is the big producer, but I get 4-6 oz each of Saaz, Willamette, and Sorachi. I built a few boxes out of 2x4s with screen on one side that stack nicely.

I have a neighborhood kid pick the comes and fill buckets with the wet hops, throw them on the screen driers for a few days in the garage, mixing them 1-2 times a day to make sure there is no concentration of moisture.

Once they are dry I pack them into vacuum seal bags. Take the weight and write it, the type of hops and the year onto the bags, and stick them in the freezer. I tend to pack the cascade into 4oz and the others into 1oz packages.

Some go into a paper bag for ageing for sour beers, and some end up in soap made by the wife.

I use them in beer just like any other hop.. I tend to not use them in dry hopping only because of the volume they take up, other than that they work just like pellet hops.

All in all, after the effort I put into it, paying the neighbor kid etc.. I'm probably better off buying hops. but it sure is fun speculating which bine will make it to the top first, I keep meaning to make it a betting pool..

Plus if the world ever goes to ****, I can still make beer.

I dry mine down on a rack (window screen) with a fan blowing over, for a few days, mixing once a day (or more if I think about it...)
I then pack them into a vacuum sealer and toss in the freezer. I try to use them within a few months - similar to most of my sore-bought hops. I don';t always suceed at that.

I dry mine down on a rack (window screen) with a fan blowing over, for a few days, mixing once a day (or more if I think about it...)
I then pack them into a vacuum sealer and toss in the freezer. I try to use them within a few months - similar to most of my sore-bought hops. I don';t always suceed at that.
I do this too, and have used them a few years later and they’re still fine. I also run a dehumidifier with the fans. I think it’s important to dry them down to approx 10% of their original weight before freezing.

@KonureKing As long as they are properly dried, I’d suggest a form of vacuum sealing, whether that is in jars or long term storage bags. With hops, oxygen is your enemy so minimize it as much as possible.
I'd recommend using fresh hops as soon as possible. Otherwise, why bother?
??? Obviously that’s ideal but I don’t understand your “why bother” comment. any hops you buy from your LHBS or online distributor are at a minimum of a month old and that’s literally when they release the latest crop to hbers....

I vac seal mine & freeze and when I open them to use, even a couple years later, I'm always amazed to find they are still as fresh and aromatic as the day they went in.

I used to use window screens to dry my hops but bought something like this and it works very well and takes way less space. I just hang the hops in my garage and put a fan underneath.
https://www.amazon.ca/Goutime-Hangi...5W2XZMXD9KJ&psc=1&refRID=ZME4RSQDG5W2XZMXD9KJ
Once they are dry I vacuum bag bag them and put them in the freezer after marking weight/variety/year.
I like it..
How many hops can you run at the same time? I've been rather lax in my growing and picking, so the last few years it has been 1-2lbs dried, but if I pay attention early spring(fertilize/water appropriately), and pick them when they are ready(not when I or the neighbor kid is) I've gotten 5-6lbs after they were dried.
I suppose if they fold up nicely, I could have a few.
Not to derail the thread, but I seem to have the option in sealing them of mylar but no vacuum or clear with a vacuum. Any thoughts/links for next year?

I like it..
How many hops can you run at the same time? I've been rather lax in my growing and picking, so the last few years it has been 1-2lbs dried, but if I pay attention early spring(fertilize/water appropriately), and pick them when they are ready(not when I or the neighbor kid is) I've gotten 5-6lbs after they were dried.
I suppose if they fold up nicely, I could have a few.
Not to derail the thread, but I seem to have the option in sealing them of mylar but no vacuum or clear with a vacuum. Any thoughts/links for next year?
This year I picked 886 grams [dried] - so about 2 pounds. I usually only use 1 or 2 pockets at a time because I stagger picking my hops and I find that 1 pocket holds 1 plant, pretty much. I have 5 varieties over 6 plants and I don't have a neighbors kid to pick them, and my own kids have zero interest in that [I've even tried to bribe them!] ;p
It takes 2-3 days to dry them out and I go in a few times and turn them over and 'rake' them with my hand

Back