How do I measure Coriander seed?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

patd

Reaction score
I have a recipe that calls for 0.5 ounce of coriander...but I don't have a scale. What's an alternative to weighing this out?

Do a tablespoon of seed, and crush it lightly. If you grind it to powder it will be overpowering in the beer.

A half ounce of coriander is about 2 tablespoons.

Your coriander might be lighter than mine or something. :cross: Are you talking Mexican coriander or Indian? I just brewed a wit using the Mexican variety, and it was about 2tbsp per ounce. I have a scale, though, so I just weigh it.

Do yourself a huge favor. If you're going to stick with brewing this is a necessity. If you can tack on another $18 in products then you get free shipping. Maybe add this book if you don't already have it and something else?

Last edited by a moderator:
Do yourself a huge favor. If you're going to stick with brewing this is a necessity. If you can tack on another $18 in products then you get free shipping. Maybe add this book if you don't already have it and something else?

Thanks, the scale is just what I need.

In the 15 minutes I had to spare before adding, I noticed the package was 1 ounce, so it made the math easy enough ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back