How do I make this shelf more sturdy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carnevoodoo

Reaction score
It bows in the middle from front to back because I don't think it was made to hold as many bottles as I want it to hold. Thoughts?

ODKgz.jpg

I had a similar problem in one of my mini fridges. I took a piece of thin ply and cut it to the same size as the shelf. It distributes the weight better.

I had a similar problem in one of my mini fridges. I took a piece of thin ply and cut it to the same size as the shelf. It distributes the weight better.

Did you do anything regarding air flow? That was my first, or I guess second thought but wondered about air circulation.

no, didn't bother messing with air flow and it didn't seem to change the cooling properties of the fridge much. The coils were in the sides around the entire unit, there's not really any airflow in there when the door is closed so I don't know why it would make much difference. If it did, some small holes could be drilled through the ply to allow air to pass - but I didn't see any need for that.

That was my first thought. The issue is air flow on this unit. The air is pushed from a fan in the top and it would cut the flow to the bottom.

As far as tools go, I have enough to drill holes and cut things. There's no room to brace from the bottom or I'd just put a 2x4 support in there. Maybe a thin metal pole with a cross brace could work. It'd just be a pain with the kegs situated the way they are.

Zip tie a piece of tube (EMT would work) to the cross wire in the middle of the shelf. If you want to make it even sturdier, zip tie another piece right along the front lip.

Zip tie a piece of tube (EMT would work) to the cross wire in the middle of the shelf. If you want to make it even sturdier, zip tie another piece right along the front lip.

The issue I have is that there are no holes in the side of the fridge for a middle support. I could make them? I'm scared of coils and whatnot, but I really don't think this one has side coils.

You don't need to make any holes. Just zip tie the tube to the cross wire. That will help distribute the weight, pretty much like the plywood piece that was suggested earlier. Make the tube about 1/2" shorter than the width of the shelf (or the space in the fridge, whichever is shortest) and you'll be ok.

I agree that a few steel bars zip tied should be enough to keep it from bowing. Do you have your manifold zip tied to the middle? The weight of the lines pulling down on it could cause some of the problem.

I would tip the fridge on its back, put the plywood in at the level you want the shelf, and fill the area under the shelf with concrete. I think you would get a very solid shelf!!

Good Luck!

I would just get some shelf support angle brackets from the depot and screw them to the side of the fridge and your done.

I had the exact same problem. I bought some steel rod that fit inside the receiving holes and welded up a stronger shelf with angle iron. It is WAY overkill and I think it would probably support my car.

A simpler solution would be to buy the steel rod, enough for two of the long lengths of the shelf. Then buy some 1" x 1" square dowel. Use these to make a cross support near the ends with holes that allow the rod to pass through. Then glue plywood piece to the top in the dimension you want the shelf to be.

As I type this it occurs to me that it's clear in my mind, but have no idea if anyone reading can actually make any sense of it! LOL.

Back