How Do I Know When It's Done In The Primary Fermenter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UncaMarc

Reaction score
My first time trying cider.

I have three batches going.

The first one is 4 gallons of fresh pressed raw juice, sulphited at the beginning with pectic enzyme added and pitched with Nottingham yeast. It has been in the primary since 9/13 and is burping about every 1 minute.

The second one is 6 gallons of fresh pressed raw juice with nothing added. It has been in the primary since 9/16 and is no longer burping in the water lock.

The third one is 6 gallons of fresh pressed raw juice sulphited at the beginning with pectic enzyme added, yeast nutrient added and pitched with Safale S-04 yeast. It has been in the primary since 9/27 and is burping about every 40 seconds.

How do I know when they are done in the primary and then do I do like wine and rack to a carboy? Then how long.

Not really sure of the procedure here.

Once the bubbles slow way down to near stopping you can take a gravity reading to see where you're at. I like to rack to a clearing tank just a bit before everything is done so as to get a good protective CO2 layer in the next carboy. If I miss that target, I top off with a little bit more juice to remove headspace and again create a CO2 blanket.

This next carboy is important for some aging which helps to clean up the flavor of the cider, non-fermentable flavor additions (oak, cinnamon etc) and to allow the sediment to drop out for a clear cider. This is pretty dependent on your personal taste and clarity preference, there is to good time schedule.

Time is your friend. Patience is a virtue with cider. As Lebreton said it is wise to keep secondaries full and or C02 blanketed to avoid oxidation. I primary for several months, treat with sulphite, rack and age several more months. I normally bottle/keg my fall ciders in may or june.

Once the bubbles slow way down to near stopping you can take a gravity reading to see where you're at. I like to rack to a clearing tank just a bit before everything is done so as to get a good protective CO2 layer in the next carboy. If I miss that target, I top off with a little bit more juice to remove headspace and again create a CO2 blanket.

This next carboy is important for some aging which helps to clean up the flavor of the cider, non-fermentable flavor additions (oak, cinnamon etc) and to allow the sediment to drop out for a clear cider. This is pretty dependent on your personal taste and clarity preference, there is to good time schedule.

Okay, so I took a reading and since I started at 1.060 and am now at 1.004 is it time to rack to a clean carboy? Can I then top off with fresh pressed cider or should I get some concentrate or maybe pasteurized cider to top off with?

UncaMarc said:
Okay, so I took a reading and since I started at 1.060 and am now at 1.004 is it time to rack to a clean carboy? Can I then top off with fresh pressed cider or should I get some concentrate or maybe pasteurized cider to top off with?

You can rack it to secondary. You can top off with any of those options.

You can also use spring water too, especially if you're using a dry yeast since you'll be hitting something around 7% anyways...

You may restart fermentation if you top off with concentrate/apple juice since you will be re-introducing sugars.

Back