How do I get the most out of my yeast cake?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lurpinator

Reaction score
So, I just transferred my first batch from primary which is a 6 gallon bucket, to secondary which is a glass carboy. There is a yeast cake left in primary which is left from 2 packets of safale US-05. It is still sitting in the primary with an airlock at about 65 deg. F. I was wondering what I could do to get the most out of this and use it for my next batch, which I might not be brewing for a couple weeks. Please respond as I don't want to let this sit in my primary for much longer.

I don't know if saving a yeast cake made from dry yeast is really worth it- it's pretty cheap. I have pitched on a yeast cake before, made with one package of yeast, but two would be overpitching. You could use a sanitized container and scoop some out, or wash it, but I wouldn't bother with the dry yeast.

Dry yeast is cheap...bit I'm even cheaper.

I'll save off the yeast cake from dry yeast for two reasons:
1) Convenience
2) Ample pitching rates for big beers.

Do some searching on "yeast washing" or "harvesting yeast".

I don't know if saving a yeast cake made from dry yeast is really worth it- it's pretty cheap. I have pitched on a yeast cake before, made with one package of yeast, but two would be overpitching. You could use a sanitized container and scoop some out, or wash it, but I wouldn't bother with the dry yeast.

I think it was biermuncher who posted it, but I was surprised to see that he washes and harvests his dry yeasts, either '05 or nottingham.. After reading it, I harvested a batch of windsor that I used...just to see what would happen...I have a test batch going now (and man I have one of the ugliest krauzens I have ever seen growing on my ordianry bitter...all this considering I have a ton of harvested liguid yeast and about 6 packs of US 05 as well....but 'sperimenting is fun!!!

Edit Well look who posted while I was writing this, Mr Ugly Junk hisself!!! I knew it was him, I knew it!!!!!!!! (He's my hero!):D

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showpost.php?p=776006&postcount=4

I wouldn't bother with trying to wash a dry yeast that you can get for a buck and change at the brew store, totally not worth the trouble if you asked me.

Now what I totally would do is brew two more batches of beer, split that yeast cake into two fermenters and get two new beers going right on top of it. Just leave a half inch or so of beer on top of it when you rack the beer to the secondary and it will keep long enough to get another batch or two going.

The only way I'd even think about messing with trying to use it is if I was going to brew with it right away - othewise its not worth the effort to **** with washing it just to save what amounts to pocket change.

Thanks guys, I think I'll go the easy route and just buy yeast lol. I'm just tight on cash and trying to penny pinch any way I can because no matter how broke I get, I still have to save enough for my next brew. :mug:

Back