How do I get the metallic smell off my wort chiller?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beavdowg

Reaction score
I made immersion chiller and I wanted to try and get that copper smell off it before I stick it in my beer. What is the trick for getting that smell off before you use it. It's plenty clean as it's brand new but I'm afraid of the metallic taste in my beer.

????????????

Sorry noone's EVER asked this, I guess we don't going around sniffing our chillers. :D

And no one's posted that it has imparted a metallic taste in their beer either...or else we wouldn't be using them I guess.....

I really wouldn't worry about it....The ph of the boiling wort will neutralize it anyway...It will come out nice and shiny the first time you use it..BUT it won't affect your beer.

Personally, I would take some degree of comfort that my copper wort chiller smelled like metal. It IS metal, after all. Or, in the lexicon of the current younger generation, "Dude, it's copper!"

Personally, I would take some degree of comfort that my copper wort chiller smelled like metal. It IS metal, after all. Or, in the lexicon of the current younger generation, "Dude, it's copper!"

BWAHAHAHAHA...

Maybe becasue I have been partaking in a few of my beerific creations...but I fell off my chair reading this...:mug:

Make up a weak vinegar solution (1 cup/ 5 gallons) before you use the chiller the first time. It'll oxidize the copper and take care of that "metallic" smell. After that, rinse off before each use.

Back