How do I get proper yeast pitch rate?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sar_dog_1

Reaction score
Hi fellow brewers. I am making 11 gallons of english brown mild with a og of 1.038. I have 1 vile of wlp002, a stirplate and a2000 ml flask. My production date is nov 23. , 2014.

With that, mr malty says I need 303billion cells. A 2.2L starter is needed with only one vial.

I am a little confused with stepping up a starter. How exactly do I do it to get 303 billion cells? I use the 1 gram to 100 ml water method.

Each vial of yeast contains approx 100 billion cells. If I use 1L of water to 100grams dme. That should double to 200 billion cells. Chill, decant and add anouther 1L water and 100 grams dme. Chill, decant and that will double my 200 billion cells to 400. And equel a 2.2 L starter???

I am prolly way off but that is what I would do if I did not ask.

I beg the grandeur knowlage that resides in the great minds that is y he homebrew community to instill upon me the power to one day become master of all that is my keggle!!!!!!!

Yes, you'll see quite a bit of experimental data on my blog that is related back to the Balling Observation. It's also quite widely sited in papers on yield in an aerobic environment.

This post sums up some of the experiments:
http://www.woodlandbrew.com/2013/03/side-by-side-starters-4-of-4.html

There is some improvement in yield from purely anaerobic to shake flask cultures. A recent paper I read showed that shake flask cultures had a 25% higher yield.

Awesome, thanks! It seems like there are a lot of theories on how yeast grows in different environments. I might need to get in on doing some tests myself...

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back